Linux to Mac Switchers Guide - Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have written a Linux to Mac switchers guide, and posted it at my web site. I would welcome your review and commentary. See below for the URL.

As a Linux to Mac switcher myself, I found myself often poorly served by the Windows focused switchers guides that are available. I realized that in bits and pieces, over the time since I switched, I have been posting elements of such a guide here in these forums as I have learned things. I have now taken the time to assemble them all, plus lots of new stuff, into a hopefully helpful guide for new Linux switchers to Mac.

The guide is available at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

I would love to have your review and feedback. Longer term, if this guide is deemed to be useful, I would love to see it turned into a sticky here at Mac-Forums, so that new Linux switchers could more quickly feel at home.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
Thats excellent!

I'm just starting to use Suse linux so I'm setting out on a new world in the other direction, but it gives me some tips in reverse ;)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best of luck a1laserboy. There is an active forum of SuSE users at www.linuxquestions.org. I have always found them to be very helpful.

SuSE is an excellent distro to start with. It is very complete, very solid, and for the most part, everything just works. SuSE 9.3 was a standout in this area, 10.0 not so much so.

Good luck!

Reaction score
It's great! I don't agree on the font rendering though, I clicked the screen caps, found Mac OS X the nicest one, and THEN read your text which surprised me. I'm sure the opinions differ here.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes indeed! When I first did those screen caps, I posted the results here in these forums and there was vigorous discussion! As I say in the guide, there is no real right and wrong here, just personal preference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Great work, it's excellent. As someone who spent a significant amount of time learning Linux just before my switch, everything seemed relevant and useful. I'll be sure to refer any Linux geek friends who consider switching.

BTW, I think that deserves more than just a +1 rep. I hope others agree with me.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update To Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide

I have updated my Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide, adding URLs for each of the applications in the "Some Critical Software To Get" section, and adding an entirely new section called "Multimedia Messaging and Your Mac", which provides switcher oriented information on IM, Email and VoIP and Video calling.

You can find the guide at:

As always, comments and feedback are MOST welcome!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated Linux To Mac Switcher's Guide

Hi all, just a notification that I have updated my "Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide" with some additional information on keyboard mappings.

The guide can be found at:

Comments always welcomed!

Reaction score
Great job! I switched over from Linux and wish that would have been available then. Someone that spends that much time trying to help other people should be commended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Great site dude that's very useful. I'll keep that one bookmarked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini & MB Pro
As you know, I'm a *Nix power user and this is my first experience with the Mac or at least for a LOT of years. I found your article very useful to make correlation between the way you do things in Linux vs. Mac and it's helped me out quite a bit.

I truly appreciate the effort you've put into your article and hope that it helps tons of other folks.

Regards,
Tim

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update to Linux to Mac Switchers Guide

Hi all, just a quick note that I have added a new section to my Linux to Mac switchers guide on installing Apple X11. The guide can be found at:

As always, comments and questions are welcomed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Sweet. I don't use Linux alot. My friend does and he wants to get a mac. I'll be sure to show it to him.

Rep. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini & MB Pro
I just wanted to say that I've read your article and you've done a splendid job keeping up with it and I'm sure it's helped the community tremendously. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.