The iPhone and Cingular..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Note: took 5min to kind of say what I was thinking so it might not really.. make sense.

So the iPhone is going to be the device that reinvents the way we wirelessly communicate. And from my point of view, it basically does what every other phone does, just better. A lot of phones have media players, the iPhone does that, better. Other devices can browse the web and just fine at that, my MDA has no problem letting me view sites that I go to, but, the iPhone does it, better. The user interface, is probably the shining point of the device, I really do think it’s remarkable. The only downside I see to it is smudges on the screen, you’ll be wiping it with a cloth as often as you touch it so you can see what you’re.. Trying to touch.

But I’m not talking about the phone itself, I’m more concerned with Apple making this phone exclusively for Cingular customers. I understand that Cingular does have the highest customer base but I didn’t think that Apple was all about that. The majority of the computer world is Microsoft based and software designers jumped on that to make software exclusively for Windows machines and that hurt Apple. If you watched some of the Apple keynotes it’s like Steve was begging software designers to program for the new OS X. Apple probably lost a lot of “switchers” because of software (or lack of). And why? Because software designers could make more money or enough money designing for the largest user base. That's not to say Apple worked around it and made thier own software to negate this fact and really nice software at that, I'm just saying..

So yes, Apple could probably reach their goal of 10Million units by 2008 using Cingular as their exclusive provider, and maybe branch off later when sales start to trickle. But why they started this way confuses me. Apple’s customers aren’t ones to use something they don’t want to get their daily tasks completed. Just like some of us don’t use a computer with Windows to do our work or research or leisure. Some of us wont want to use Cingular to wirelessly communicate with this device either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm with you on this one.....

Reaction score
Hmm if your just going to hate on the iPhone why do you publicly announce it? I don't like the razor because the buttons are **** but I don't post threads on it. Some people need the iPhone because other phones are not compatible with their mac computers. Everything about the iPhone is that it is more convenient. I can have all my important data from my macbook pro on my iPhone. My point is that just because you don't like the device, doesn't mean you have to bash it all the time. Like any other company, Apple is just trying to make money. I don't have Cingular but I am willing to switch from Tmobile to cingular for this phone because how it will make my life alot more easier. If you don't find this phone helping you then be like anyone else and pass on it, not write a bunch of bullshit on how your so special and you hate something that apple made. You disagree so you have to announce it to the world. Sorry if i am coming off a little harsh but all i have been reading the last hour is a bunch of threads of how people hate the iPhone.
I'm Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
"Why is the iPhone Cingular-exclusive? Why not make it open?"
"Why do songs purchased from iTunes have copy-protection on them?"
"Why go with Intel only, instead of with Intel and AMD?"

The answer to these three questions is the same thing:
Apple is a newcomer to the [size=-3](phone/music/x86 PC)[/size] business.

Apple needs friends. It needs help from the music companies, from Intel, and from a wireless carrier, in order to launch its products. In these three cases, making friends means kissing up and giving in to what your new "friends" want.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Hmm if your just going to hate on the iPhone why do you publicly announce it? I don't like the razor because the buttons are **** but I don't post threads on it. Some people need the iPhone because other phones are not compatible with their mac computers. Everything about the iPhone is that it is more convenient. I can have all my important data from my macbook pro on my iPhone. My point is that just because you don't like the device, doesn't mean you have to bash it all the time. Like any other company, Apple is just trying to make money. I don't have Cingular but I am willing to switch from Tmobile to cingular for this phone because how it will make my life alot more easier. If you don't find this phone helping you then be like anyone else and pass on it, not write a bunch of bullshit on how your so special and you hate something that apple made. You disagree so you have to announce it to the world. Sorry if i am coming off a little harsh but all i have been reading the last hour is a bunch of threads of how people hate the iPhone.
I'm Done.

Then maybe you should actually read what I wrote rather than come off writing a reply that is completely off the point. Especially, since you're trying to argue about it.

I LOVE the iPhone, I even state that it does what phones already do.. BETTER.

But the point of this post was that I do not agree that they should have come out exclusively to cingular but rather maybe both T-Mobile & Cingular. I'm not going to switch my carrier to use a phone that I want, to do that would make me 16 years old again. Just like I wont go to Windows so I could play some game or use some piece of software I want. I will make due until it comes to me. Which seems to happen a lot when you choose to go with Apple..

And about making friends for their launch? This will be the hottest phone on the market now and NOT because they chose their "friends" wisely, but because of what they created. They'll sell this phone no matter who they sell it with.

As for those other points.. let us take a look at that..

Intel Chips - Intel makes the best chips on the market, also, they're the most rock solid, Apple can work with Intel to still make their systems like they designed the whole thing, software and hardware. If they made it open like windows so you could use any chip, OS X would have to take a huge redesign and we'd lose the stability we're used to. Plus, Apple has never made it's chips, they simply moved from IBM to Intel.

Why does Apple sell songs with copyright protection? Let's see.. to make it legal. Why in the AAC format? Quality issues, maybe and to make it better for iPod sales. Nothing to do with friends..

Reaction score
ntel Chips - Intel makes the best chips on the market, also, they're the most rock solid, Apple can work with Intel to still make their systems like they designed the whole thing, software and hardware. If they made it open like windows so you could use any chip, OS X would have to take a huge redesign and we'd lose the stability we're used to. Plus, Apple has never made it's chips, they simply moved from IBM to Intel

Keeping with your line of thinking; Cingular has the most stable network. They have the fewest dropped calls, so says there commercials.
Not to mention the best data plan rates out on the market. You also mentioned that they have the largest install base and thats reason enough there.

Stop being bitter because you chose crappy T-Mobile service.

And if your not willing to change carriers then cannot call yourself a true "switcher."

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Keeping with your line of thinking; Cingular has the most stable network. They have the fewest dropped calls, so says there commercials.
Not to mention the best data plan rates out on the market. You also mentioned that they have the largest install base and thats reason enough there.

Stop being bitter because you chose crappy T-Mobile service.

And if your not willing to change carriers then cannot call yourself a true "switcher."

Wow, learn your cell phone companies sir. Verizon has the most reliable network right now and has been proven. But that's just here, GSM is International (and T-Mobile offers the best roaming agreements worldwide).

Cingular, might have the best "data plans" as far as price, maybe. But they use the same EDGE data services T-Mobile does but T-Mobile offers way more wi-fi capability and in places such as airports, starbucks, places that matter.

And based on your opinions Windows has more of a user base, please go to them.. it's reason enough.

I went from Cingular to T-Mobile and for good reason, not because I just "wanted to". Just like I put thought behind using an Apple instead of using a Windows machine.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Oh, and before this becomes a Cingular vs. T-Mobile thread, this is about them choosing to become exclusive to a carrier. I'm sure Apple probably makes money per customer they attract to Cingular per activation w/ an iPhone or something so it works out that way to give Apple more revenue per phone, which makes sense, maybe the $599 charge doesn't cover the phone's materials..

I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Having just ended a contract with Cingular, I have to say it's too bad the Apple went exclusive for next two years. I'd recomend that everyone stay far away from the SOBs. If you just have to have an iPhone, watch your bill like a hawk, because they'll screw you every which way from sunday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
Publishing concerns about an Apple product is hardly "hating" on something- I would suspect that active forums as this one might be scanned occassionally by movers and shakers in Cupertino. As such, dissention is a GOOD thing, which just might affect how things ultimately play out.

Or did I miss the "fanboyz only" sign on the way in?

Keep rockin', sKaD!

Reaction score
Having just ended a contract with Cingular, I have to say it's too bad the Apple went exclusive for next two years. I'd recomend that everyone stay far away from the SOBs. If you just have to have an iPhone, watch your bill like a hawk, because they'll screw you every which way from sunday.

Cingular does suck. I was a customer years ago, but after enough BS I switched to Verizon and haven't looked back. Their customer service is fantastic and I've never had a dropped call -- I travel up and down the East Coast.

I'm so disappointed that the iPhone is only available through Cingular. The phone is extremely tempting, but not enough to go back to those :closed:

Reaction score
Setting aside why they chose Cingular in particular ...

It makes perfect sense for Apple to link with one service provider. Other companies do the same thing for a year or two when they come out with a new phone. Remember the Razor? It wasn't available from Verizon for a good while. Some company (don't remember which) had an exclusive deal with the manufacturer. That's business as usual.

Furthermore, as people have pointed out repeatedly, some of the specific capabilities of the iPhone require new software at the provider end. The voicemail function is one good example. This needed to be developed with a partner. Do you think Cingular was going to do all that work and then just shrug when T-Mobile, Verizon, whoever walked off with it?

For the next two years, it's in Cingular's best interest to promote the iPhone. That is a lot of free advertising for Apple. If the iPhone was available from everyone, then Cingular has no greater motivation to promote it than anything else.

I'm not happy about the Cingular choice, either. I don't have and don't want Cingular service. But I'm not going to cry about it. When the iPhone comes out, I'll have to choose between the service I want (Verizon) and the hardware I want (iPhone). That's life.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Setting aside why they chose Cingular in particular ...

It makes perfect sense for Apple to link with one service provider. Other companies do the same thing for a year or two when they come out with a new phone. Remember the Razor? It wasn't available from Verizon for a good while. Some company (don't remember which) had an exclusive deal with the manufacturer. That's business as usual.

Furthermore, as people have pointed out repeatedly, some of the specific capabilities of the iPhone require new software at the provider end. The voicemail function is one good example. This needed to be developed with a partner. Do you think Cingular was going to do all that work and then just shrug when T-Mobile, Verizon, whoever walked off with it?

For the next two years, it's in Cingular's best interest to promote the iPhone. That is a lot of free advertising for Apple. If the iPhone was available from everyone, then Cingular has no greater motivation to promote it than anything else.

I'm not happy about the Cingular choice, either. I don't have and don't want Cingular service. But I'm not going to cry about it. When the iPhone comes out, I'll have to choose between the service I want (Verizon) and the hardware I want (iPhone). That's life.

Good Points, I do see this as a much cheaper way for the iPhone to get advertised and as far as software from the provider, I think the voicemail feature would be the only one, everything else would just require some sort of data connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.