Which unrar program is good?

Reaction score
I have to decompress some compressed folders containing files. I downloaded unrarX but is does not open the contents into a containing folder (which seems frankly bizarre). So that just leaves files scattered all over the place! What is a good program to unrar?
Thank you!
Justin

M

MacHeadCase

A workaround would be to create a new folder, drop in the compressed file and unrar it in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That is what I do......

OP
J
Reaction score
Me too. But it sucks. Why should I have to do that? It means I have to
1)open the info on the file
2)copy the file name
3)close the info
4)open a new folder
5)paste the name in
6)delete the .rar from the file name
7)move the file into the folder

all that before I can start to unrar it!! That seems totally unreasonble to me, especially as I am doing it frequently. In windows and ubuntu instead of 7 steps I had exactly zero. It just did it for me. There surely must be a program which has this option for mac, surely! Please do tell!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
When you "unrar" the compressed file, and it asks for the path to unrar to, couldn't you just type, for instance, /users/user/desktop/file where file is the name of the rar compressed file? That way it'll jsut unrar into the file folder on your desktop?

M

MacHeadCase

Me too. But it sucks. Why should I have to do that? It means I have to
1)open the info on the file
2)copy the file name
3)close the info
4)open a new folder
5)paste the name in
6)delete the .rar from the file name
7)move the file into the folder

all that before I can start to unrar it!! That seems totally unreasonble to me, especially as I am doing it frequently. In windows and ubuntu instead of 7 steps I had exactly zero. It just did it for me. There surely must be a program which has this option for mac, surely! Please do tell!
Justin

Nope, not that way at all.

Create new folder: Right-click (or Control-click if you don't have a multi-button mouse) on the desktop. Drag file in that new folder, unrar in there.

And to copy the name of a file no use going into the Get Info window. Click once to highlight the name of the file, Command (Apple key) + C. The name of the file is now in the clipboard ready to be pasted where you need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
In windows and ubuntu instead of 7 steps I had exactly zero. It just did it for me. There surely must be a program which has this option for mac, surely! Please do tell!
Justin

Hmm, this makes me wonder. I read this site every day, multiple times a day, and everyone seems to recommend downloading "this for that" and downloading "this for that". What's all this got to do with the Mac slogan, "It just works"? Shouldn't all that stuff be included, already? I'd really like someone to explain it to me. I'm so close to getting a 17" MBP, it ain't funny, but it's these small issues that hang me up and there seems to be a lot of them. Maybe I'm in a Windows state of mind....

That's crazy, to have to do that with RAR files.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
I recommend The Unarchiver for opening compressed archives. It extracts the contents of the archive in a new folder automatically. It also opens up countless other formats. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.