New MacBook Pro! Some Questions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I finally dug deep in my pockets and bought a Macbook Pro! Ended up with the 2.16Ghz base configuration and everything's looking great!

I was somewhat upset this morning as I couldn't snag a sweet deal on a refurbed 2.33Ghz MBP off of the Apple Store Web site, my card wouldn't go through, ARGH!!! So I just hit the subway and ran to the SoHo store.

Anyways, this is my 4th Mac in two years (as some of you may know, my second personal computer aside from my still working-great Powerbook)! I needed the new setup so I could run Windows, and enjoy a screen with higher resolution. I intend on adding 2 extra GB of RAM and a 24" monitor from either Dell or BenQ later on next week and use my powerbook and an external TB drive as a mass storage and a media server.

I do have a three questions, however:

1) When I set up the MBP, I ran the settings and HDD transfer program to copy all my stuff (Files, Apps, etc) over from the Powerbook. Then proceded to uninstall/replace whatever transferred PPC programs I could. When this was all done, I noticed that te MPB had ~10GB less storage space left over than my Powerbook (both are running 120GB drives). I'm left wondering if OS X for Intel is majorly bloated compared to the code for PPC OS X. I doubt that it requires 10GB of extra space. Does anyone know where I might be able to free up some space?

2) The MBP screen pushes more Red hues. I guess I should calibrate the screen, but recently learned that Apple's screen calibration tools are relatively poor. Does anyone have any better suggestions for screen calibration techniques?

3) I have a TB drive that I'm attaching to my Powerbook and will ultimately use the older setup to stream media and files through to other computers on my network. Are there any good resources out there for making this happen?

Thanks much!

OP
slyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Scratch off #3. Got the Networking taken care of!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Mac OS X comes with a whole load of extra stuff that you don't really need. One example is about 3GB of extra language packs, another is 2GB of Garageband sample files. Then there's the fact that some Universal apps come with both PPC and Intel files, the first of which you don't really need.

There are ways to remove most, if not all, of the bloat in Mac OS X. Check out this thread for more information

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.