• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why doesn't Apple participate in CES?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm fairly new to the Apple world, so I've never known this. From an outside perspective, Apple holding their own little conference around the same time seems a little snobbish; something the Apple reputation doesn't need more of.

Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

You're a worrier, hunh?
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've noticed that too.

Reaction score
They get enough press when they accounce something at Mac World, what would their motivation be to go to CES also?

M

MacHeadCase

One would need to look up CES' history of course (their webpage only says 40th anniversary, no idea when this event has been held in those 40 years), but Macworld as far as I can recall was held at first twice a year, in June and in the second week of January. Then Apple, in the lean years, trimmed it to once a year but chose to keep it in January, still on the second week.

Snobbish? I don't think so. But then again I don't have your outside perspective. I use Macs and I don't care what a show catering mostly to PCs has to offer anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
My understanding of CES is that it's a technology Mecca. I think it would be great for Apple to demo at CES as well as MacWorld - I don't really know the geographic differences/time zone differences with regards to where these two shows are held (and I'm too tired to check...) - but 'what if' - The iPhone/keynote in Macworld is streamed either live - or later that same day to the Apple 'stand' at CES - who'd be staring at the running robot then huh?

But...
They get enough press when they accounce something at Mac World, what would their motivation be to go to CES also?
fair point I guess. Perhaps the only group to benefit would be the CES organisers.

Just an opinion.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Take a look at these two Forbes articles (1 and 2)

Basically, Apple got more attention this week than all of CES did. It had an entire show to itself, and upstaged everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple hits the news without any help. This week's newspaper had a full page for Apple's Macworld anouncements, and there was nothing about CES.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I was watching Click on BBC News 24 last night and it was mostly about CES. Seems to me it's more of a technology show than a computer show. Apple have all the big announcements at Macworld, but all the mac third party software, developer people are there as well. It's not just an apple event

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a worrier, I just didn't know why. I mentioned the snobbish thing because that's how most people I know who don't use Apple products think of Macworld. They, like me, just don't understand why. I saw a lot of featured products that came out of CES, and in my opinion, as well as a lot of non-Mac users, iPhone would have blown everything else out of the water. Macworld is great for Apple and 3rd party developers to get together and collaborate, but an Apple presence at CES would not only get them more coverage, it would directly show how great their stuff is compared to others and create more converts like me.

Apple hits the news without any help. This week's newspaper had a full page for Apple's Macworld anouncements, and there was nothing about CES.

Which newspaper? I'd like to read the article. I haven't read much about it outside of web sources; which had a lot of CES. My favorite tech source, Cnet, covered both pretty well.

I was watching Click on BBC News 24 last night and it was mostly about CES. Seems to me it's more of a technology show than a computer show.

That would have made it especially appropriate for Apple with their strategy shift, "Apple Inc." The only reason CES appears to cater to MS is because the only other mainstream competitor, Apple, is missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It was a local newspaper. Observer Dispatch.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's cool a local would report on a story like that. Maybe the chief editor is a fellow Apple lover. As I said in another post, we need recruiters! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
it's funny.

IMO, the products apple announced this year truly were more in the spirit of CES type announcements (phones and media bridges)... at least more so than the usual type MacWorld announcements (ie: new macs, OS X, iWork/Life, etc)

CES seems to be part reality and part concept electronics... a lot of the products shown on the floor at CES are experimentations or demonstrations of upcoming technology. Some will never see the actually market... or in completely different ways. That being said it's a cool little show.

BUT... MacWorld (especially nowadays) has become a sort of holiday. I was amazed at the amount of coverage that the event got, definitely seemed like more than the usual... But most of Apple, (eh em) Inc.'s announcements as of late have been completely revolutionary/industry changing (alright, mainly the intel switch and the iPhone)

I will admit, I have heard plenty about the iPhone... i'd really like to hear some Macintosh/OS news...

It would be absolutely ridiculous for Apple to join CES with all the attention that MacWorld recieves now.

M

MacHeadCase

We have a big French newspaper here, La Presse and they covered the Macworld keynote on two different pages, one being a full page article (front page of the Electronics news) and a half-page in the Financial section. Oh and on that day there was a snippet on the front page announcing the article of both sections. Those articles bumped Gates back to page four.

And no, I hate to disappoint you but they're too big to be Apple fanboys as you said or insinuated earlier. La Presse belongs to Power Corp.

This weekend there was another article on the iPhone this time on the first page of the Entertainment section.

If using a Mac is that snobbish and you feel so ashamed, why not sell it to someone who just might like using it, hunh?

I find you borderline trollish. You post stuff like that in a lot of places in Mac-Forums and then you scamper off. Jeez...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
CES is more about the future, not current products. CES is like all the kids in school talking about what mom and dad will get them for Christmas, when it's only March. On one of his first keynotes, Jobs stated that he didn't want that kind of attention, he wanted the public to focus on what they had on the market and not to worry about what they would/could/should release in the future.

If you look at Gates' presentation on the previous CES and compare it to Jobs keynote for the same year you will see that there is a big difference, and that is or was the difference between the CES and the MacWorld, at least IMHO. However, i think this is changing, remember every update the iPod got, after the presentation Jobs used to say, "and it is available at our store right now...", now it is more like "it will be available..." or "it will ship...".

There is also the part of been apart from the rest. Sony, HP, Toshiba, Microsoft, all of them just have a space in the big CES, and only one or two presentation that may be at the same time of any other company and thus lose public (look the second photo). Apple has its own show.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
CES is more about the future, not current products. CES is like all the kids in school talking about what mom and dad will get them for Christmas, when it's only March. On one of his first keynotes, Jobs stated that he didn't want that kind of attention, he wanted the public to focus on what they had on the market and not to worry about what they would/could/should release in the future.

If you look at Gates' presentation on the previous CES and compare it to Jobs keynote for the same year you will see that there is a big difference, and that is or was the difference between the CES and the MacWorld, at least IMHO. However, i think this is changing, remember every update the iPod got, after the presentation Jobs used to say, "and it is available at our store right now...", now it is more like "it will be available..." or "it will ship...".

There is also the part of been apart from the rest. Sony, HP, Toshiba, Microsoft, all of them just have a space in the big CES, and only one or two presentation that may be at the same time of any other company and thus lose public (look the second photo). Apple has its own show.

It's just a bit funny that the products that Gates talked about in his keynote this year will be shiping before the products that Jobs talked about during his keynote, considering the history of both.

The thing is, CES is nowhere near as big as it used to be. Companies used to prepare all year and spend big $$$ on their presentations, now with the 24/7 news coverage and a huge amount of coverage in tech blogs, they just don't need to worry so much about people seeing their stuff at CES. Macworld, OTOH, is still the premier forum for Apple gear, and with Apple being so tight lipped about their products, the techblogs don't get much to report about until Apple officially anounces things. Everyone already knows what's going to be around at CES these days, Macworld, you just have rumors.

Still, I'd rather go to CES than Macworld. Las Vegas as opposed to San Francisco. :)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, you completely misread my post and added tones I never intended. The comment about the newspaper was a positive one. I meant it was good that a local paper would give coverage to the event and expose more people to the Apple products.

My comment on looking snobbish from an outside perspective was, as I stated earlier, from people I know who do not use Apple products; which was the cause of my original post. I, as a Apple product user, understand the merits and benefits of Macworld for collaboration and product development. I just didn't know why they don't present their products at CES as well.

My post title, "Why doesn't Apple participate in CES?" was not meant to be read as "why does Apple have their own conference instead of going to CES" I gave credit to the iPhone when I said it would blow away anything at CES.

Never mind, just try re-reading what I wrote and take out the sarcastic tone and negative attitude you injected in your mind.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Great response mraya, exactly what I wanted!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.