• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Input from DVR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 2.0 Mhz1.5 GB RAM OS 10.4.8
I have ordered Dish Network service for standard definition TV with a DVR supplied by Dish.

Is ther a way to access the DVR and transfer recorded video to my iMac G5? Could you please provide a reference?

If no, is there a way to stream and record using the line output jacks of the DVR? Reference?

Thanks, this is my first foray into video input not from a prerecorded DVD or a camcorder with firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Sorry, no answers here but I have the same question. I've searched all over the internet for the answer and the best thing I could find had something to do with removing the hard drive from your DVR.

Fortunately for me I wanted a new dvd player with HDMI output. I opted to get one that also has a DVD recorder on it and I just use it to record things off the DVR.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can do this by adding a tv tuner with composite and/or s-video inputs. Do not know if there is a way to do it without a tuner as I have had a tv tuner on all my PC's for about 10 years now. Had DirecTV connected to my PC's since around that same time and currently have Dish for it's superior HD selection. Use my Pc's and now this MAC as a DVR.

For the Mac, the best reviews seem to go to the Elgato tuners. I have added the EyeTV Hybrid to my MBP. This one is a digital (Hi-def) and analog tuner. They have several different tuners. If you have not moved into the HD world and no plans on doing so, one of their others would probably be adequate for you.

Check out their site at elgato.com - their hardware also comes with some decent software.

There are sites for hacking into the dish and direcTV receivers in order to do straight file transfers, but have never done this myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Some questions to bobtomay on his response.
1. Can a tuner for DirecTV (Satellite) be installed in a Mac?
2. Will such a tuner allow watching TV on the Mac?
3. Will this set up allow recording of programs or movies to the Hard Drive?
If the answer to these Q's is NO, is there a way to record Satellite TV (DirecTV) to a DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Record Satellite TV to DVD.

Some questions to bobtomay on his response.
1. Can a tuner for DirecTV (Satellite) be installed in a Mac?
2. Will such a tuner allow watching TV on the Mac?
3. Will this set up allow recording of programs or movies to the Hard Drive?
If the answer to these Q's is NO, is there a way to record Satellite TV (DirecTV) to a DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.