Trying to decide if I should buy an IMac

Reaction score
I have been a Dell user for a long time but have always thought I should have gone Mac. Every time I have bought a new computer I have wanted to try the Mac but chickened out. I look at Macs when ever I get the chance, mostly online. I recently got a chance to try them at Circuit City. The screen is beautiful except for the wide strip at the bottom. It seems that would get in the way. And the mouse is terrible. I don't know if I could give up my Logitech. Can I use a windows mouse with the IMac?
Now that you can run both Mac and Windows on the same system it may be time to switch. I have so much Windows software that I would miss otherwise.
Sorry this is so long. Can anyone give me advise on the pros and cons of switching?
Thank you all:(

Reaction score
I too am on the verge of switching but just found out that a VOIP conferencing software I am using doesn't work on Macs. I'm assuming they mean the oldler models and that this osftware should and would work on a newer machine with Windows XP installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By the strip on the bottom, I'm assuming you mean the dock. You can actually set it so that it auto-hides, or you can even move it to the left or right sides of the screen. However, you should keep in mind that the dock is NOT the Windows taskbar.

As for using a Logitech mouse on your iMac, go right ahead. In fact, if you go to CompUSA, they have all their iMacs setup with Logitech mice rather than the usual single-button mouse.

If you plan on getting a Mac just to run Windows, you might be better off sticking with a Dell. As a certain moderator will tell you, when you get a Mac, don't install Windows right away. Use Mac OS X for a couple weeks so that you get a feel for the true Apple experience rather than keep falling back on your Windows comfort zone. Switching doesn't mean getting a pretty box, it means learning a new way to use a computer. This may sound harsh, but if you don't like change, the Mac isn't for you. I would advise you to seriously check out more Macs at local retailers and get a feel for the operating system rather than thinking you'll just install Windows on it.

Reaction score
The screen is beautiful except for the wide strip at the bottom. It seems that would get in the way.
The dock's size is adjustable on-screen, and from its control panel it can be made to hide until needed. Additionally, it can be moved to one side of the screen or the other, and even to the top. (I choose not to use it at all. Instead, I use a third-party application that makes it unnecessary.)
And the mouse is terrible. I don't know if I could give up my Logitech. Can I use a windows mouse with the IMac?
Yes. Simply plug it in. I use a Logitech (with a ball) that's at least 150 million years old. :) And Logitech's web site has Mac drivers, if for some reason you aren't satisfied with the one that comes with the Mac. Logitech still has the Mac driver for my old mouse.
Can anyone give me advise on the pros and cons of switching?
The Switcher Hangout forum that contains this thread has stickies (some with lots of links) that probably would answer your questions, as would many of the threads under the stickies (and threads in other forums).

With a web search engine using the terms Mac switch OR switcher, and perhaps, with any potential problem you could think of, you wouldn't have to wait for answers.

OP
P
Reaction score
By the strip on the bottom, I meant part of the monitor itself, It is not a full screen, the monitor sits above about 4 inches high.
As far as Windows, I could care less about it but I have a lot of good software that is made for Windows and I would hate to not be able to use it.
thank you, everyone for your replies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The bottom half of the computer isn't distracting at all. In fact I've never heard anyone mention it being a problem. It's way below eye level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Yes, the nice part is you won't need a "tower" anymore. Saves lots of desk room and looks beautiful.
Read some of the threads on this forum about how you can run windows on the mac alongside OSX. You'll get lots of info. I too am a recent PC to Mac switcher and after about a month I don't even want any windows on my computer. I'm trying to figure out how to load on my files and do without windows altogether.
Also, think of the "strip" at the bottom as a piece of furniture. It looks very nice on a desk and is not distracting at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
My first Mac was (and still is) a G4 Mini, but my next Mac will almost definitely be an iMac. For not much more than a Mini you're getting blazing speed and storage PLUS the monitor. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE my Mini, but the iMac's lower price and incredible hardware will make it too hard for me to resist the next time around. I'd suggest, therefore, that you definitely get an iMac regardless of what your computing habits and needs are (like even if all you do is e-mail and surf the web). It's simply the best bang-for-the-buck that Apple offers.

And concerning the idea of diving into OS X for two weeks, as Kash suggested, that is so true. I never really discovered the beauty of this incredible OS until I used it exclusively for a minimum of two weeks (I recommend a full month), after which my Windows computer was placed in a box and shoved into storage without a single regret since. There are switchers worldwide who will tell a similar story. Need I say more to convince you to take the plunge?

Oh, and by the way, my Microsoft optical mouse 'just worked' when I plugged it in for the first time. (No annoying Windows-esque dialog box appeared to tell me the obvious fact that my computer detected a new mouse.) You'll be surprised at all the different kinds of hardware your new Mac will immediately support!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Noooooooooooooo..... don't buy another Dell!

I switched about 4 years ago after using PCs since about 1990. I only wish I'd done it earlier. The Mac is a better experience at so many levels. I do still use a PC laptop, but only because I'm a teacher and I don't want to put my Mac in any situation where its health might be jeapordised, whereas I can lug the XP box around from room to room all day, and if it gets damaged then no big deal (it was cheap). In reality, anything I could do with my PC I can also do with my Mac, and there's lots I can do on the Mac that I wouldn't want to do on the PC.

I echo what others have said; run OS X for a couple of weeks and I really doubt you'll want to go anywhere near Windows afterwards. It's like all those people who grudgingly switch to a digital SLR just to see what all the fuss is about, and never touch a piece of silver halide film ever again.

Any piece of Windows hardware I've ever plugged into the Mac (graphics tablet, mouse, printers, scanner, USB disks, even my mobile phone) has worked first time without any hassle at all. Sure there will be stuff out there which doesn't, but it's a small minority.

Regarding the strip at the bottom of the screen, to me this is like looking at a brand new Ferrari and deciding to buy a 15-year-old rusty Japanese hatchback instead, because you prefer the gearstick.

David

OP
P
Reaction score
Sounds great. The only thing that concerns me is all the windows software I curantly use, such as Greeting Card Factory, Hallmark, Calendar Creator, etc. plus many small games downloaded and purchased online. It would be very expensive to purchase all new software for the Mac. That is what has been holding me up for years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Like I said you can run Windows alongside OSX, many people do. But as MartinS just said, maybe you should just stick with your PC. However, most of us Mac users wouldn't even think of it and that says something about the Mac and OSX. It's been only a month for me and I'd NEVER switch back....no regrets, no looking back and total satisfaction!

M

MacHeadCase

Doesn't sound to me that you are willing to make the switch just yet so I would recommend too that you stick with your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like the others have said, you could technically run Windows side by side with Mac OS X, but with the sheer number of Windows-only programs you have, you'll end up just buying an over-powered PC in a pretty case rather than get the full Mac experience. I would definitely suggest you stick with PCs as Macs are definitely not for you. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I've had my new iMac a few months and while using it you don't see the bottom stripe.

I quite like it as it makes the screen that little bit higher so it's more on eye level that regular monitors

OP
P
Reaction score
I still can't stop thinking about the Mac. I would probably have to get Parallels and have the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
My 2 cents:
Get a refurb'd mini since you have mouse/kb/monitor already; this will save you money, and justify getting your feet wet in the wonderful world of OS X.

Then check out iLife:

Create a Calendar
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/iphoto/ip5-5.html

Create a Card
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/iphoto/ip5-6.html

The games you downloaded should not keep you from the satisfaction and happiness that comes from being a Mac user, and yes, you also have Parallels and Boot Camp... live a little! Get a Mac! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.