• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which laptop is for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I have 1200 to spend at most. I do not need the extended applecare but it would not be bad. I have to decide between: a coreduo macbook refurb, new core2duo macbook, or refurb core duo mac book pro. I eventually want to updrage to 2gb RAM but not right away. I will use the laptop for just normal things such as music, net, mail, chatting and such. The only gaming I MIGHT do is World of Warcraft. I am leaning towards just the refurb coreduo, but I am not sure. What do you guys think?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what's more important, small footprint on your desk/in your bag or a slightly larger screen and the ability to higher end graphics and games?

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, i see where you are going with that. i love the 12' of my ibook g3 and i think the 14'' would be too much

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
than do the macbook. other bonuses, the plastic shell should hold up nicely, it'll fit anywhere. i'd guess battery life will be a tad longer too.

and from what this thread says, you should be able to play WoW on it too:
what games are working on your macbook

oh, and don't worry too much about core2duo vs coreduo, go on which macbook has the most to offer (HD space, memory, superdrive, etc). although you said the refurb was a coredup and the new one was a core2duo... does the older one have more 'stuff'? or is it considerably cheaper?

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i would probably buy it off of this forum, i am currently talking to jsnoah. i just saw that apple.com is out of the 799 coreduo mb. do you have aim by any shot?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aol instant messenger? nope. only msn .net, but that's for work.

just make sure to use an escrow service for any payments and you should be relatively protected when buying from a private party.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
escrow service? paypal is okay? my hopes is that anybody i am buying from would see that i have 30+ 100% feedback on ebay and send first

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you got it... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.