Switching to mac: The missing manual

Reaction score
I saw this and Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition at the apple store. Are they worth buying?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I saw this and Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition at the apple store. Are they worth buying?

I picked it up at Waldenbooks (which is closing most of their stores) at a 25% discount for $25 (w/ tax). It's very thorough, but it doesn't get into the nuts and bolts. But if you want a good overview of the OS X, iLife and the other assorted applications, it's a good read.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks....What do you mean by nuts and bolts.

You're not going to learn about the behind the scenes things like the kernal, BSD and development tools for example. It's not a "power users guide". It's exactly what the name implies... the missing manual. It covers everything the user would see on a day-to-day basis.

Reaction score
I found a book at barnes & noble called mac os x in easy steps or something like that it was $1.99 very basic but hey for $2...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Mac OS X The Missing Manaual is an extremely worthwhile book to get and read. I got it shortly after I switched and it has repaid me the time I spent with it abundantly. I can't recommend it enough.

OP
K
Reaction score
Mac OS X The Missing Manaual is an extremely worthwhile book to get and read. I got it shortly after I switched and it has repaid me the time I spent with it abundantly. I can't recommend it enough.

Great to hear. Going to buy it tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree with mac57. I bought the Tiger Missing Manual on Amazon and the thing is a beast. Chock full of useful information. I haven't gone through most of it (then again, I'm using it for reference, not a full read through) but I've already learned a ton, especially small things like shortcuts and eye candy. I would highly recommend it to every switcher

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.