• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Upgrading Old iMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook/ 1GB RAM/ 60gb hd
Hi, im just wondering where i can find out what Firmware im using if im using Mac OS 8.6?

also.. a question regarding RAM. Do i need to have the same amount of RAM in each slot? or can i buy one 128mb and put it in alongside my 64mb?

sorry it was two questions at once, ive no idea wherelse to put it!

OP
jonnyw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook/ 1GB RAM/ 60gb hd
oh and... is there a max capacity of RAM for an iMac G3 333Mhz?

Reaction score
G'day jonnyw,

Your thread title is upgrading old iMacS so I'm not 100% sure which question relates to which model, eg: iMac G3 333Mhz, or PowerBook G3 333Mhz...as the PowerBook came with 64mb Ram and the iMac came with 33mb....

So I'll include both models just in case.....

Hi, im just wondering where i can find out what Firmware im using if im using Mac OS 8.6?

iMac G3/333Mhz (Rev. D)

iMac G3/333 Processor Upgrade And Discussion Page

PowerBook G3/333Mhz

Do i need to have the same amount of RAM in each slot? or can i buy one 128mb and put it in alongside my 64mb?

Regarding RAM upgrading, it would be better if someone else here advises you on the best move as there are different schools of thought over whether or not 'matching' is necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.