Old Ram....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB HD, 1GB RAM
I've recently ordered my mac, but found out that I wanted to personally upgrade my RAM to 2GB. I am going to install it myself...

I have a few questions:

1. What vendor should I purchase the ram from?
2. What do I do with the old ram, being that it is new RAM directly from MAC? Should I re-sell it online?
3. Should I buy 2 sticks of 1GB or 2 sticks and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) The cheapest! Try ebay
2.) I'd sell it online.
3.) 2 sticks of 1Gb would be cheapest, but would limit your upgrading in future. The chance of you needing more than 2gigs is slim though.

M

MacHeadCase

I wouldn't use eBay for RAM as I think I would rather have new RAM with a lifetime warranty and I would feel more comfortable with this choice. But this is a matter of opinion.

I would go with either Crucial, Other World Computing (I've dealt with them in the past for RAM, very helpful people, fast efficient as well), Mac RAM Direct or RAMJET.

The prices might determine which module you will get. Make sure your Mac doesn't have the installed RAM soldered to the logic board otherwise your upgrading the RAM might mean you need to buy a 2GB module only.

Maybe other members have other suggestions. Note that Macs can be quite finicky about the RAM you use and it has to be the exact same type your Mac was designed to handle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.