Looking to Switch - Cost Questions

Reaction score
To preface, I am bored with the Windows/PC feel I have been using the vast majority of my computer life. I honestly do not have any real complaints about the XP OS or the nature of Microsoft, I'm just curious about Macs and looking to try something new.

So, I wanted to throw some questions at you Switchers and see if you can help me out.

1) I game a small bit. World of Warcraft, some Battlefield 2, Battle for Middle Earth II are pretty much it though. Running XP in Bootcamp will make these games run more than fine correct? (Assuming for an ATI 1600 from a iMac) Can I expect any crazy FPS drops or visual bugs, or does XP run just like XP and treat the games just like my PC?

2) I'll need a new copy of XP correct?

3) When is Leopard coming out? I keep hearing about it, but is it worth waiting to buy an iMac for Leopard, or just upgrade when it's released?

4) Am I really getting a discount over a similar PC? Comparing to a Dell I built on Dells site compred to a 20" iMac with matching RAM/video upgrades . . . I'm seeing the Mac as more expensive. When you consider the cost of a new XP copy for Bootcamp and the inferior graphics card the Mac "discount" doesn't seem as evident as I hear. Not to mention the potential upgrade to leopard . . . will that cost a significant amount?

5) Office 2004 for Mac - I am a college student, can I get along with Pages or similar Mac word docs for printing and typing out papers, or is it worth it for Power Point and such? Anyone have an personal experience?

Overall I am interested in Switching just for the sake of something new. But I'm not gonna blow my New Computer Fund on something that is way too expensive for what it does, especially if I'm spending all my money on new Windows apps.

Thanks for you help.

Reaction score
To preface, I am bored with the Windows/PC feel I have been using the vast majority of my computer life. I honestly do not have any real complaints about the XP OS or the nature of Microsoft, I'm just curious about Macs and looking to try something new.

So, I wanted to throw some questions at you Switchers and see if you can help me out.

1) I game a small bit. World of Warcraft, some Battlefield 2, Battle for Middle Earth II are pretty much it though. Running XP in Bootcamp will make these games run more than fine correct? (Assuming for an ATI 1600 from a iMac) Can I expect any crazy FPS drops or visual bugs, or does XP run just like XP and treat the games just like my PC?

2) I'll need a new copy of XP correct?

3) When is Leopard coming out? I keep hearing about it, but is it worth waiting to buy an iMac for Leopard, or just upgrade when it's released?

4) Am I really getting a discount over a similar PC? Comparing to a Dell I built on Dells site compred to a 20" iMac with matching RAM/video upgrades . . . I'm seeing the Mac as more expensive. When you consider the cost of a new XP copy for Bootcamp and the inferior graphics card the Mac "discount" doesn't seem as evident as I hear. Not to mention the potential upgrade to leopard . . . will that cost a significant amount?

5) Office 2004 for Mac - I am a college student, can I get along with Pages or similar Mac word docs for printing and typing out papers, or is it worth it for Power Point and such? Anyone have an personal experience?

Overall I am interested in Switching just for the sake of something new. But I'm not gonna blow my New Computer Fund on something that is way too expensive for what it does, especially if I'm spending all my money on new Windows apps.

Thanks for you help.

1. I am a gamer too, and have no problems gaming on my Macbook Pro with the games you mentioned and others.

2. Yes. However, there is some new software I read about yesterday that lets you run Windows apps natively without Windows. You might want to research that.

3. No one knows, but very soon. Just upgrade.

4. Macs cost more, no doubt. But they last longer and retain their value longer. They are also better built.

5. Forget Office. Open Office is free and handles all file formats. Pages is also excellent.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Macs aren't necessarily built any better than most PCs, but the custom design and case material push the price up. As does the brand cachet that Macs have - a BMW 5 series costs more than a Honda Legend because of the badge.
Plus Apple do markup more than many PC manufacturers who pile em high, sell em cheap.

On the other hand, Leopard will cost around £90. Vista will cost £180+

Reaction score
Macs aren't necessarily built any better than most PCs, but the custom design and case material push the price up. As does the brand cachet that Macs have - a BMW 5 series costs more than a Honda Legend because of the badge.
Plus Apple do markup more than many PC manufacturers who pile em high, sell em cheap.

On the other hand, Leopard will cost around £90. Vista will cost £180+

A 5 series also cost more because it handles like a BMW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1) Windows XP on an iMac handles just like it would on any other PC with similar specs.

2) If you have an OEM computer (i.e. Dell, HP, Sony) the only way you'll be able to use that copy of Windows is if you remove it from the computer it came from. However, you're going to want to create another Windows boot disc to remove all the extra stuff that is OEM-specific. Download a program called nLite and it'll create a stripped down install disc using your original copy. You can then just use the serial number that came with it. If you built your own computer, then the same applies except you won't have to deal with nLite.

3)Since nothing was announced during Macworld about Leopard, that means it's still scheduled for Spring 2007, which most estimates aiming for April. To be honest, Leopard offers some compelling upgrades, but unless you absolutely need Spaces and Time Machine, Tiger will suit you just fine. So if you really want to upgrade now, then go for it. When Leopard comes out and there are some features you really would like, then the upgrade won't cost much.

4)Macs should be comparably priced to their PC counterparts with similar configurations. Granted, there might be a slight markup, but you have to keep in mind that you're not just paying for parts. You're paying for the fact that the computer is an all-in-one solution, which cost more even on the PC side. You're also paying for quality. A Dell box isn't exactly as well built as an iMac, and the quality of service is much better on the Apple side as well.

5) Macs come with trial versions of Office 2004 and iWork. I suggest you try them both out before spending money on either. Also take a look at NeoOffice, a free office suite based on OpenOffice. It can handle pretty much everything Office can. I personally use iWork as all I really need is a word processor and presentation software. You can export the files in MS Office formats, so I don't have a problem sharing files. The best part is that it's cheaper than even the Student version of Office.

Overall though, if you game often, then I would suggest staying away from a Mac only because you'll end up using Windows more often than Mac OS X. But if you game maybe once or twice a week, then I would definitely recommend a Mac. I'm a college student who switched about a month ago and I have never regretted my decision once. In fact, I'm loving Macs so much that when it comes time to upgrade my desktop computer, I will seriously consider an iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.