Question about kernel panics

Reaction score
New to this forum. Now that MacWorld has ended I am planning on getting a macbook core 2 duo sometime later this year. I have been a somewhat proficient PC user for a number of years. I do not suffer from viruses, maleware. My registry is clean and free of any undesired run entries.

With that said I am looking at a macbook for the hardware quality and support meaning if you buy a brand X laptop at your local superstore there is little support from them or the manufacturer if your hardware components go wonky and although I have opened up and repaired my PCs before it is something which I would rather not do in the future.

My question is about Kernel Panics, most of my friends that use macs know too little about OSX too tell me why they occur and how they can be stopped. I have had 0 BSODs on my XP PC laptop in 4 years and am wondering if kernel panics happen for no good reason or if there is always an explanation and a procedure to remedy them?

Thank you very much and I apologize for my long winded question

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Dr. **.

I haven't had a kernel panic since the days of Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.x). Kernel panics usually happen when added RAM is badly installed, is defective or that the wrong kind has been installed.

And from what I know from my PC friends, you are quite an exception with a no-problem Windows box...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Dr. **,

Am new to Mac's and this is my first laptop. I purchased for the same reasons you are looking at them. Quality of the hardware and support if you need it.

At the time the closest PC to the identical processor, amount of Ram and a similar video card would have cost a minimum of an addititonal $700. Add to that, I could find no manufacturer that had this hardware in anything but a 17" notebook which I had already determined was too large for my needs.

Support - have had a reason to call Apple support twice so far and neither had to do with initial hardware nor software problems. Their support system menus are fairly short and take you where you need to go, not as some companies that make it almost impossible, like trying to figure out a riddle just to get a live person on the phone. The hold times were very short (maybe 1 minute the longest). They have seemed genuinely interested in my questions, and spent what time it took, not as if they were on a clock. I did have a question which the tech was unfamiliar, and was put on hold while he had to research it (am sure on that one he had to go to more than one level 2 tech to find a real answer and not a make believe one that some of these phone support guys throw out when they don't know).
Overall - would rate them a 4.5 out of 5. And I do not just give away ratings over a 3.

Personally, think you will be happy with the purchase. Maybe not as happy as I am, being this is my first laptop. I would suggest verifying it will support any specific software needs you may have.

And from what I know from my PC friends, you are quite an exception with a no-problem Windows box...

I have to say, since my first machine (the TI-99) some 25-26 years ago now, I have never had a virus on one of my personal boxes. Have only had one major spyware/malware infestation and not a single one for over 2 years now. (My wife's machine is another story.)
And BSOD's - Once due to bad Ram with my very first install of Win 95 and several times due to faulty device driver installs (can the gamers out there say ATI).
Calling tech support, don't think I have had the need other than my ISP's (and can the gamers and TV card owners out there say ATI) for maybe 4 years now.
I must say XP has been a very good OS for me. And if not for the EULA and MS seeming to want to cater to the music and movie studios rather than their customers, don't know that I would have made the change.

Reaction score
Welcome Dr.!
toast.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find this place very helpful with all your questions as a switcher and one day help people just like you when they switch.

OP
Dr. Ho
Reaction score
Yeah this seems like the place to be, I've found answers to many of my questions browsing older threads. For the record I am getting a macbook but probably after WWDC. I would like a blackbook but purley for the aesthetic but the price difference compared to the next model down doesn't seem justifiable for only a 40GB HDD difference. I am thinking of saving that money and ordering an extra GB of ram instead. This leads me to my next question, will putting in a gig of ram in myself as opposed to buying it directly from apple void my warranty?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.