imac newbie question!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am thinking about purchasing my first mac, the imac 20" intel core 2 duo. My main question is, what happens if the computer actually dies, would I still be able to use the lcd screen as a monitor for another computer?
Or I can just get an imac mini and purchase a big screen with it.

Many thanks...

P.S. thinking about jumping to a mac for a while now, i have been using windows for a long long time.......so hard to decide! but the more i read these mac forums the more i want to use one! :D

Reaction score
Try a little Mac, never look back.

No, I don't think you can just use the screen on its own. The Mac mini is great, but it's a sub-compact (albeit a reliable one), while the iMac is a Ford Bronco.

If you're worried get the iMac with AppleCare.

Reaction score
I completely understand the angst over this decision as I'm doing the same thing myself. I think the answer to your first question is "no", if the iMac dies you can't use the screen as a monitor from another computer.

Here are a couple of other things to consider...

The Mac mini is currently Core Duo rather than Core 2 Duo, that makes it a bit slower and not 64-bit.

The mini is mostly based on laptop parts and therefore gives you smaller and slower hard drive options. Most folks agree that the slower spinning drives definitely affect performance.

The graphics cards and options are better in the iMac line. With the mini you have no choice and get the lowest quality (though it's generally more than adequate for non-gamers).

What peripherals do you already own? If you have a good USB keyboard and mouse and a nice LCD, the mini is a good choice. If you're going to buy these items, and considering the performance and option differences, you'll probably find that the iMac is a better deal.

Now... what did I do??? My teenage son had an IBM laptop that recently died and we got him a low-end iMac. It is seriously cool and exactly what he wanted. Since he didn't have good peripherals already, this was an easy choice.

I was hoping that yesterday's announcement at MacWorld would include an upgrade to the mini, but no luck.

With the new OS is coming in a few months, I'm going to wait until it's released and then buy what best fits my needs. I have a great 20" widescreen monitor and would prefer an upgraded mini. If that doesn't happen, I might just spring for the 24" iMac.

Either way, as MartinS recommended, AppleCare is an option to consider if you're worried about hardware failure.

Have fun with the decision and whatever you do, you'll never regret moving to the Mac platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
If you want to be super safe, spring for a basic mini and an LCD of your choice. However I recommend you seize the moment and treat yourself to a 20" or 24". It's the most beautiful machine you could ever own, next to a 17" MBP.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks guys for the helpful advice! i have decided to go for the 20" mac......will buy that in Feb...however there still could be a chance that i will purchase the 24". I cannot wait to start using a mac!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Congratulations; It's one of the best feelings in the world to open that first mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.