I am set on getting a macbook- but should I wait?

Reaction score
I have decided that the macbook is the right computer for me. But before buying it I need to know something. Should I wait until leopard comes out before I buy the macbook? They say it will come out in the spring, but is it worth waiting 3-5 months? I know that Apple is not offering free upgrades to Leopard( Like what Dell is doing with Vista) So if I do choose to buy it now, how expensive will it be to upgrade to leopard? Thank you.

Reaction score
I don't see why it would costs more/less than the current version of OS X, so $129. I don't think the hardware is going to make any big jumps since they only recently went to Core 2 Duo.

I think it really comes down to how bad you need it.

OP
Choobus
Reaction score
Is there a chance of problems from going to tiger to leopard? I dont know if this can happen on mac, but I have heard of problems for people who upgrade from windows 2000 to XP. Could I encounter any similar problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
As the new Mac vs. PC commercial during the Keynote today subtly suggested, upgrading your operating system on a Windows machine is very painful with all of the hardware "transplants" and upgrades required. The Mac Guy hinted to an idea of "what, you can't just...upgrade?"

I think Tiger to Leopard will be a very simple and straightforward process, requiring minimal effort.

I, for one, am very excited. (duh.)

OP
Choobus
Reaction score
So Leopard will be more like an upgrade to OS 10 than a new operating system? Will it be as a drastic change as like a switch from Windows 2000 to XP?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So Leopard will be more like an upgrade to OS 10 than a new operating system? Will it be as a drastic change as like a switch from Windows 2000 to XP?

Not likely. The changes are evolutionary, not revolutionary. For the most part, there are no major changes to the folder structure, file system - and (thank god!) you have no registry to worry about. I'd imagine an OS upgrade would be very straightforward - very similar to upgrading a Linux box to a new kernal/window manager.

OP
Choobus
Reaction score
So do you think now would be a good time to buy a 2.0 ghz macbook with 2 gig ram?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So do you think now would be a good time to buy a 2.0 ghz macbook with 2 gig ram?

I wouldn't see why not. If you're as annoyed by Windows as I am, the sooner you switch, the happier you'll be.

I've had mine for about two weeks now and I can't say that I regret it at all. When Leopard comes out, I won't be in a mad rush to upgrade either. If there are compelling features, I'll consider it, but it's got to be worth $129. A lot of people get hung up with the fact that they just bought something and now there's a newer version of that something. The thing is, the computer you bought is still fully capable of doing all the things that you bought it to do - a newer version of the same thing will not change that fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
Go for that new macbook!

I wanted one for the longest but just wouldnt pay the money and risk needing windows...

I ordered a refurb macbook 2.0 for $899 directly from apple. It arrived last Thursday and I am now in heaven!!!! i'll never buy another windows box again.

Mac OS is the best. the things that i thought were trivial fluff, i use the most (Widgets and Expose').

In only one week, I have completely ditched my old windows laptop. I cant bear to think about using anything other than my mac.

Come on in, the water is fine!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I switched to Mac about 7 months ago, and I've never looked back. I am looking forward to Leopard for spaces (I need multiple desktops, I love having tons of stuff open at once without trying to find my windows), and Time Machine. Time Machine is especially important to me, as I am constantly finding out that I've deleted things that I didn't mean to, or simply want something back that I had a long time ago.

Aside from Leopard, OSX is an amazing animal, in any of its forms. You are going to be absolutely amazed, and you'll never WANT to touch Windows ever again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Go for it! The Macbook line has been recently refreshed, so don't worry about getting hit with a major update soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.