Will not Print

N

natey

I'm starting to reconsider my Mac purchace, and go back to PC. Seriously, I'm sick of having problems. Then again, Windows has problems too -- maybe it's time to just trash it all and go back to pen and paper!

Today, I bought a new laser printer. When I got home I pluged it into my mac. It (the mac) didn't do anything. So, I put the in driver disk, but the driver disk keeps wanting to use classic (mac 9) mode; what about OSX drivers? So, I go onto the Samsung webpage. Sure enough, there are OSX drivers. I click to download. Nothing. I click again. Nothing again.

For some reason, i can't download the driver. So, I figured, maybe it's a problem with Safari, and I try Netscape's browser. Nothing downloads. I try Explorer. And a again, the download wont work.

I then tried using the printer prefaces menu. And yes, my Mac sees the printer, but no, it wont print to it -- it wont let me select it because there are no drivers. I also have a lot of buttons that are diabled.

Now what do I do? I'm stuck with a $200 printer that can't print. I'm a writer, I need to print things off -- it's my job! I got a mac so that I wouldn't have to spend my time fixing my computer, meanwhile I should be working on my projects. I'm a writer, darn it, not a techy.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Has anyone else had a problem, too?

My printer: ML-1710 (samsung)
My computer: Powerbook, 15", 1Ghz, 768Ram, newest OSX 10.3. I got it a week ago.

thanks for your help,

--nate :)

OP
N

natey

OK, I found a soultion (maybe there's some techy within me after all). I found a link to the correct driver when I searched on line; the link was in some place called mac-fix-it forums.

I guess it must be a problem with samsung webpage. I don't know. I just know that the page didnt' work for me, but the direct link (from max-fix-it) did. I also noticed that the driver that I had to use is for 10.2 (apperently the 10.3 driver i was trying to get is just a beta version, and it may, or may not work).

Anyway, the printer works fine now, and I've already begun to print off one of my projects. Now I'm happy.

--nate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
natey -

Never lose sight of this bit of advice....... Macs are great computers, Windows PC's are garbage, but they are both man-made, they are not perfect!!!(That Mac comes pretty **** close though!)

Just though I'd take advantage of this time to say for the first time: Welcome to the Apple World!!

(BTW: I'm not an Apple owner yet [waiting for summer updates] but I think Apple,. I think Different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Didn't you just read his last reply, he go it to work!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.