• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone had success with Monster Job Site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Well as of December the 30th I'm unemployed - the good news is that I had stashed away enough money to buy my macbook (Priorities) before my contract came to an end (Just waiting for 10.5) the bad news is that I didn't save much else so if I do buy the macbook I'll be skint.

Which almost brings me to the point of my post; I'm looking for some work - pref IT support work - mainly with Windows (More chance of a long contract ;) ). I'm registering with a couple of Job Sites (Monster.co.uk, Jobserve.co.uk etc) and I just wondered if anyone else has had any experience with using either the UK or US variants of these sites, or perhaps someone can suggest a better job site (pref UK).

Cheers

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I did try the Monser Jobs site a while back, but never got any replies from them apart from 2 totally unrelated jobs.

It may be because I am 17 and just looking for a weekend/part time job though.

I'd say give it a try anyway, you may be more lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
A guy that used to work with me used Monster and got a job. He posted his resume' and in less than a week had three offers, all paying similarly ($75-$90K/year starting) and he wound up making his decision on location. He just started his job down in Texas a couple of weeks ago, and is loving it. He's a machinery maintenance supervisor now, he was a Machinist's Mate in the Navy.

Reaction score
Depending on the type of job you're seeking, you'll have wonderful luck or terrible luck with Monster.

I've found the best approach is to use your personal network. In fact, the last couple of jobs I've had came from personal referrals. Then again, I'm in kind of a specialized area.

When I've looked to hire people, I've had better luck with recruiting firms ("headhunters").

Good luck with your job search....!

:girl:

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Thanks for your comments people.

So far not so good with Monster - but I'm also using Jobserve - I've applied for maybe 6 or 7 jobs this week - so hopefully something good should be on the horizon very soon.

Well... at least I might get an interview sometime soon - BUT as I am perhaps one of the worst interviewees ever --- well I won't dwell on that just yet - a bridge I've not yet reached!

Spending Friday nights in is a casualty of unemployment - I miss my Friday nights :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.