Dissapearing windows. Please reappear!

Reaction score
Sometimes I click on the little minus sign on a window, and it dissappears! Also, sometimes it just dissappears even if I don't click that! Just suddenly it slips away to to bottom corner, and gone!! How to I get it back! Where is it? (Another reason why I prefer all the wondows diplayed on the bar at the bottom in linux/windows!)
Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Can you cycle through open windows/apps using Command+Tab?

Dave

Reaction score
You should have a Dock at the bottom of your Desktop screen. Go to the Blue Apple in the top left and click and scroll down to Dock. in the side menu that appears, see if the top item is "Turn Hiding Off". If it's there, select it and see if this returns the Dock into view.

If this is the case, when you click on the minus sign, the open window is 'minimised' to the Dock. This is the normal behaviour.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, Pulse-8 is right and RNDdave just gave you a cool trick too, Justin!

Just to let you know that:

• the green button expands the window you have at the forefront to the full height of your screen (well, at least right up to the dock if you have it showing)
  • the yellow button sends the forefront window to the dock and to get back that window, you just click on it once in the dock and it will take its previous position before being sent to the dock
  • the red button closes the window but does not quit the app you were using like in Windows. The Mac OS assumes you might like to have two or more windows open in the same app so if you close one you can open another or again have another window open. To quit the app you were using, just do Command (or Apple key) + Q.

Hope this helps. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.