Displaying folder sizes, and tree-like structure

Reaction score
When I open a window, it can show me the diferent files. For example, if open "desktop" it shows me the files and folders on the desktop. I have found 3 options for displaying that (icons, list etc) but I can only ake it display the size of files, not of folders. How to make it display size of folders? Also of those 3 options, I have no idea what they are called because they seem to have no names! But is there not a way to make it display a tree-like structure, like on windows and linux (at least ubuntu anyway)? I find it far more easy to navigate.
Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
When I open a window, it can show me the diferent files. For example, if open "desktop" it shows me the files and folders on the desktop. I have found 3 options for displaying that (icons, list etc)

Gday Justin & welcome to Mac-Forums!

What you have mentioned above is the 3 display options available in Finder. As you correctly stated, they are Icon, List & Column views.

I can only make it display the size of files, not of folders. How to make it display size of folders?

To display Folder sizes in List view, go to View in the MenuBar and select Show View Options. In the window that opens, look down to the bottom section and place a tick in the 'Calculate All Sizes' box. Then wait while Finder performs the calculations and the folder sizes should now be shown. If they still don't show, make sure there's a tick in the 'Show Columns - Kind' box.

Regarding the Tree-Like structure to display folders, I can't answer that one but I'm sure there's something out there, there's got to be.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Marty
Great, thanks for that. Now all I need is that easy-to-navigate tree-like structure!
Justin

OP
J
Reaction score
To display Folder sizes in List view, go to View in the MenuBar and select Show View Options. In the window that opens, look down to the bottom section and place a tick in the 'Calculate All Sizes' box. Then wait while Finder performs the calculations and the folder sizes should now be shown. If they still don't show, make sure there's a tick in the 'Show Columns - Kind' box.

So, I did like you say above. And I even click the box "All windows". So, why won't it show folder sizes in ALL WINDOWS ? I have done that so many times now in so many windows! Is there a way to REALLY make it do it in ALL WINDOWS?
Thanks
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Interesting, I suspect that what is going on is that Finder remembers any per window view settings you establish and will use those in favor of its defaults, set via the "All Windows" view option. So, if you have already set a per window setting for a folder, it will show up that way again. The "All Windows" really ought to be "All Windows that don't already have a setting established". Does this help?

OP
J
Reaction score
Interesting, I suspect that what is going on is that Finder remembers any per window view settings you establish and will use those in favor of its defaults, set via the "All Windows" view option. So, if you have already set a per window setting for a folder, it will show up that way again. The "All Windows" really ought to be "All Windows that don't already have a setting established". Does this help?

The only thing I have altered on any of them is to make them display folder sizes! I didn't change anything before that. Seems weird.
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.