• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Easier than FTP?

Reaction score
I was just asked to create some "file space" for a military unit to make it easier for them to share non-classified information with former members, etc.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that many of them are somewhere along the spectrum between "scared of" and "intolerant towards" computers. :D

What I'm looking for is some kind of web-based application that works like online photo albums, but isn't just for photos. In other words:

1. Log in
2. Tell me what file you want to upload

or

1. Log in
2. Tell me which of these files you'd like to download (preferably with some kind of preview, etc.)

Any advice? I realize I could just set up a multi-user blog or use another broad authoring application but I'd really like to keep things s-i-m-p-l-e. After all, some of these folks might be Marines. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Take a look a Military.com. They seem to have a good setup and maybe you can get some ideas from them.

I'd also caution about "providing space" for the military. While information may be technically unclassified, pretty much anything to do with the Military these days, particularly active units, falls under the heading of "For Official Use Only" and any web presence needs to be approved both by the command in question and the department they belong to (Army, Navy, AF, USMC, USCG). If the unit has been deactivated, as in no longer an operational regiment, unit ship squadron etc, then you're ok.

I have personally been "smacked" for this in the past. Security is the watchword these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.