• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

~~If you have a career, or if you have a job, please read this~~

Reaction score
Thank you for visiting this thread. For school, I have to interview 3 different people from 3 different age groups about their career and about their workplace. If you are 22-25 years old, 40-45 years old or 65+ years old, then I would greatly appreciate your help and time. Below are questions for each age group, and if you would like to help, just give me a short response with the correct number by it (doesn't have to be formal because i will be filing this in by hand). Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate it.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9381/page1uc8.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4083/page2ho0.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5669/page3od6.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1614/page4wx4.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2135/page5el0.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
This needs a resize Xs eleventy billion. Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Whoa, that's huge! Or is it just my screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All better now. :black:

M

MacHeadCase

Uhm I think we have been overtaken by aliens implanting the Huge image File virus.

M

MacHeadCase

Thank you DB! My monitor fell off the desk trying to follow those images. :^P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
1.U.S. Navy

2. 4 years.

3. Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (Mechanic, floor-level manager)

4. Operation and maintenance of steam plant equipment.

5. 300,000+

6. My supervisor's supervisor.

7. Informal and formal inspections of work done.

8. Inside (on a ship)

9. Some, I have 20+ people that work for me

10. Poor to average, depending on who the supervisor and individual is

11. Full medical, dental, 30 days paid vacation, retirement after 20 years

12. 2 years job-specific training including steam plant mechanics and nuclear theory

13. 8 out of 120 in my division.

14. Less than 20 out of 120.

15. Government

16. None.

17. None.

18. We can't call people "****" anymore, someone attempted suicide because he was teased about being gay.

19. ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry about posting HUGE images. But if you think those are huge, you should see what they looked like before I used Automator to resize them. And to Nukemm, thank you for helping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem.

And to the "****" comment, I'm not joking or being belittling or insulting or anything, it was put out by our Commanding Officer that it is unacceptable to harass people about their sexual orientation. (in response to the negative rep points)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Age 41 - Interview #2
It appears the assignment is for me to talk about the first career I had when I first entered the workforce, rather than my current career, right? If so here goes.

1. High School English Teacher
2. 10 years
3. Taught 9-12 English and drama
4. Taught 6 sections of high school English in a small school district
5. 55 employees
6. Daily, I made the decisions on what to teach and how to teach it, although the principal and board really determined the teaching duties and such.
7. Principal occasionally dropped by the room (2-3 times per year)
8. Inside
9. Quite a bit of individual freedom within the job as long as I was there and teaching kids, little or no freedom to vary the workday schedule itself.
10. Close relationship. Everyone got along and worked as a team really well.
11. Health and life insurance, sick days, personal days, 3 month summer vacation, Spring and Christmas breaks, snow days, 8 hour workdays.
12. Bachelors degree, formal licensure testing, internship (student teaching)
13. 3/4
14. In my school, there were only 2 out of 55 who were not white
15. Local/state government (public education)
16. We do more and more intensive drills (fire, tornado, terrorism, etc), we now have latex gloves and face shields in case kids get cut or sick, we do more locking of doors and more close monitoring of who is in the halls since 9/11, we have more strict driving on campus regulations and monitor them more closely, kids have assigned seats on busses now, janitors wear gloves and coveralls when cleaning restrooms
17. Teachers have much more acccoutability with all the new student testing that is done (before it really didn't much matter how or what you taught as long as you were doing something in your area when someone dropped in). Teachers now are subject to drug and alcohol testing. Teachers cannot bring tobacco on campus (the teachers lounge used to be a smoky gas chamber that you couldn't even see through). Teachers have to take more tests and do mentoring before they cen become licensed now.
18. Our policy manuals now address things such as sexual identity, bullying, harassment, etc on these grounds between administrators:teachers, teachers: administrators, teachers:teachers, students:students, teachers:students, and students:teachers. Much more attention is paid to race and religion discrimination laws than when I first started - my school used to not hire people if they were were not some kind of Christian religion. This was an unwritten policy, but a very real one. I was asked about my own religion when I was being interviewed years ago.
19. In the United States, the world of work has become more technology based in every career that I have worked in, which has made manual labor much less physically demanding than in years past. Even farm laborers have technological tools to assist them with their jobs (including air conditioned tractors). We currently stress technology education in every subject area in school so that students will be ready for the workforce. Whether they are keying in orders at McDonalds, becoming a business manager, or preparing to work the next automated hog farm, they must be technology literate. This is something that was not even stressed when I first started teaching in 1993.

OP
R
Reaction score
rcltrh, thank you very much for your long informative post - that will help out a great deal, thanks!

OP
R
Reaction score
I still need one more interview if anyone is interested. Anyone here 65 or older? I would really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, mine was for the third survey, I suppose. I'm 22.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.