I'm New to macs can someone help me

Reaction score
I keep getting this dftmpJAIKGMBMkkkkkkkk-------- file in my trash when I start the computer
What is this file?
Is it harmful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is that the file name? What applications have you installed recently? What applications do you run regularly?

M

MacHeadCase

What is the file format? Or rather what is the file extension? Ex.: .jpg or .mp3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
If it is anything malicious, backing up your HD and reformatting always works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know what you are talking about and it's not dangerous. I forget the name of the folder but every once in a while I get it too after a restart. It's bits and pieces that the systems throws out that were not deleted after say an upgrade or install like Temp files. I wish I can remember the name but I know whats up and no reason to worry. I just empty the trash and have never had an issue.

Edit, it's called Recovered Files.

Here is a discussion explaining what they are. Don't worry. Not a problem at all.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-46210.html

OP
C
Reaction score
You sure cause all of a sudden my clamxav sentry engine got lost and my itunes randomly starts when i restart

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes as far as the folder name I gave you, yes totally sure. It happens with all the Macs I have here which is 6 and all with 10.4 Tiger. My itunes only opens if I have an iPod connected.

Reaction score
Clam may be creating temp files and dumping them improperly. The folders of Recovered Files show up occasionally in my machine, too. They've never been more than junk.

These files were a Mac habit long before OS X. OS 9's trash sometimes has a folder of Rescued Files in it after a crash or restart. Rescued Files sounds more serious than Recovered Files, but they're junk, too. QuarkXpress for OS 9 is/was a big-time offender (I still run it, and for all I know, it still does it with OS X). The Quark files are always labelled Temp, and are always blank when opened.

M

MacHeadCase

Oh! Recovered files! I know 'em.
icon10.gif

Nope not dangerous to delete at all. Just temp files that the system keeps in cache somewhere, holds on to and sends to the trash upon restart or boot up when they are no longer needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.