New in Mac - need advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac yet...
Hi,
First post in Mac Forums.

Just to share with you one of my "new year's decisions" and get some useful advices. The decision: give up from Windows and PCs and try Mac. My last windows automatic update section was suposed just to update IE but I ended up having to format the HD...

My use of computer is basically concentred in ms office, some math programs (like matlab) and photo editing (photoshop). Photo editing is not huge, I mean: not all day long professional style.

As I want a notebook, reviewing the available options I think the choice must be between Macbook and Macbook Pro.
All the specs of Macbook are ok, except for the video card (Intel sharing the main RAM). Macbook Pro solve this "problem" but it costs some bucks... and size for me is a concern (the 13 inch screen Macbook is perfect).

So, the main question is: is the video card of Macbook a real concern for my user profile? Nowadays I own a Compaq Presario V2000 with the same type of video card. I have 1 Gb of RAM and no major problems with video.
For the mac, I was thinking about 2 Gb of RAM.
I don't want to spend the (much) extra bucks for the Pro if the benefits are not much useful to me.

Sorry for the long post and I would be happy if it is answered and if more sugestions could be given.
I want to enter this world you make part!

Regards,
Marcio

Reaction score
If the Intel on-board video in your Compaq meets your needs, then it will continue to meet them with a Macbook.

Getting the 2GB of RAM is a very worthwhile improvement to the base system. It's unfortunate there is no Apple Store in Rio, you could play with both systems to decide whether the increase in price & size was worth the performance of the Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The MacBook would be the perfect Mac for your needs.
One thing to keep in mind, many new Mac users (or those looking to get a Mac) often bring up the differences with regards to hardware configurations between Windows computers and Macs. They feel that the Mac has "stunted" or lower end components when compared to similar model Windows machines. The bottom line is, the Windows machines need those high specs to perform so yes, by Windows standards the machine wouldn't be a good choice. Sure, by pure specs alone, the MacBook would be a fairly mediocre Windows machine... but therein lies the difference... it ISN'T a Windows machine. Mac OS doesn't always require the "biggest and best" hardware out there to perfom well. It will do a phenomenal job with much less.
Also, your needs listed don't require any grand video card anyway, even for Windows.
So to sum up, you will have more than you need... even with a MacBook.
:black:

Reaction score
Get the macbook. I was in your sItuation a week back. I should have my mac next week.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac yet...
Hi there.
Thanks for the answers. Things are getting clear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
I had a similar windows machine.

I got my macbook 2.0 core duo last week and couldnt be happier!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.