Moving from XP to Mac, what machine should I get?

Reaction score
First of all, as I'm living in Ireland there's no Apple stores, only resellers so the internet is probably the best place to get advice.

I am currently using a Dell desktop with XP which I can continue to use after I switch and I am undecided between laptop and iMac. I have roughly €1400 - €1500 to spend and don't have to pay VAT @ 21%.

I will be using it for internet, email, instant messaging, word processing and editing some drawings and making videos.
How much RAM would I need for this and would I need a graphics card?

If anyone could recommend any Apple machine in my price range which would do what I need. I am unsure whether or not to get a laptop or iMac as I already have this Dell desktop.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know currency that well, but I think the 20inch imac is in that range. I would get that since you are looking at getting some video production work done and the larger screen will help you get more done by allowing more things to be displayed at once in FCP. It also has the dedicated graphics card, so you will not have to worry about not having it in the macbook. Good luck purchasing your new computer, I hope my suggestion helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
One euro is about 1.3 dollars these days, per www.xe.com. Based on that, theremus has about $1900 to spend.

This is just about $100 shy of a nicely tricked out 20" iMac, with the fastest 2.33 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and the upgraded video - based on what theremus says they want the Mac for, this sounds like a good configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
If you're looking at going portable, the Mac Book Pro is the way to go, if you're going to be editing drawings. It has the 256MB video card, which you would probably need. I know Solid Works requires this amount.

OP
T
Reaction score
Would editing drawings require the graphics card?
The reason I ask is that I've gotten many different answers on this and need a definive answer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
What software are you working with? Do you 3D model? I assume the file types are DWG and DXF. Of course, if they're only 2D drawings, you could probably get along well with the integrated graphics in the Mac Book.

What, exactly, do you want, something portable or stationary?

Reaction score
You might wanto to invest in screen estate. Unless portability is a must, you will love having 3"-7" extra. And get all the RAM you can. Will yield a better computer for less money - but you can't carry it around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have to politely disagree with the MacBook Pro sentiment. My reasoning goes kind of like this:

(1) The MacBook Pro starts at $1999.00, the out limit of what theremus has availalable
(2) At that price, the MacBook Pro has a slower hard disk (5400 RPM) than the iMac (which has 7200 RPM drives).
(3) At that price, the MacBook Pro only includes 1GB of RAM. For pretty much the same price, the 20" iMac can be equipped 2 GB. This is an important difference for video editing.
(3) At that price, the MacBook Pro only comes with a 15" screen, while for pretty much the same price, the iMac comes with a 20" screen. Again I suspect that this is kind of important for editing any kind of media.

So, I conclude that unless portability is a key concern, theremus would be better served with the 20" iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have to politely disagree with the MacBook Pro sentiment. My reasoning goes kind of like this:

(1) The MacBook Pro starts at $1999.00, the out limit of what theremus has availalable
(2) At that price, the MacBook Pro has a slower hard disk (5400 RPM) than the iMac (which has 7200 RPM drives).
(3) At that price, the MacBook Pro only includes 1GB of RAM. For pretty much the same price, the 20" iMac can be equipped 2 GB. This is an important difference for video editing.
(3) At that price, the MacBook Pro only comes with a 15" screen, while for pretty much the same price, the iMac comes with a 20" screen. Again I suspect that this is kind of important for editing any kind of media.

So, I conclude that unless portability is a key concern, theremus would be better served with the 20" iMac.

I agree 100%

OP
T
Reaction score
its for 2d drawings: adding colour, cleaning them up etc and posting to web. Nothing 3d.

I can hook up the macbook to a 20" dell external display I have so screen size isn't that important, as I would be editing at home using this. The portability would be handy for internet etc. Also, the macbook is €300 cheaper than the imac 20" which is a bonus. The only reason I would go with the iMac is if I knew the intergrated graphics chip wouldn't work for what I need to do.

Also, would I be better off ordering it with 1gb and adding the extra 1gb myself or ordering with 2gb?

Reaction score
The way this threads gone now I can pretty surely tell you that you want a desktop. Keep a nice big display and you will have a super machine for a duper price.

OP
T
Reaction score
i think I'm going to get a macbook now as it doesn't look like I need the dedicated graphics card and there was no update of them at macworld.

When will iLife etc be released? and when will the macbook's wi-fi get upgraded with the new technology?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 768 MB RAM, iMac Bondi (Rev. A) 233 MHz G3, 288 MB RAM, Panther.
From what I've heard, the AP Extreme cards in macs have been 802.11n capable since late 2006.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.