• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI and iMovie help needed

Reaction score
I own a Macintosh and I downloaded some AVI files and opened them with iMovie, but when I loaded them, the sound worked but all I saw was a white screen. I was told that there was a codec that I need to download. Where can I find a free one of this codec without needing to download another movie player? Also is there a free way to convert .AVI files to .mpeg or .mov formats on a Mac? Thanks in advance.:black:

Reaction score
I own a Macintosh and I downloaded some AVI files and opened them with iMovie, but when I loaded them, the sound worked but all I saw was a white screen. I was told that there was a codec that I need to download. Where can I find a free one of this codec without needing to download another movie player? Also is there a free way to convert .AVI files to .mpeg or .mov formats on a Mac? Thanks in advance.:black:

G'day Britn,

A white screen means no video decoder can be found on your Mac to decode the video. Quite possibly you may be trying to watch a MP41 or MP42 video. You can download the appriopriate Mac OS X codecs from here:

MS-MPEG4v1
MS-MPEG4v2

Alternatively you could try downloading VLC from here, and playing the file through that.

Reaction score
Can use DivxDoctor to convert to .mov, it's free: http://www.3ivx.com/divxdoctor/
Check the page for the codecs to install, and make sure you check the "Decompress audio" button in the app.

Reaction score
I've encountered the same problem. I've downloaded and installed the 3ivx D4 v 4.5.1 for OSx codec and tried the DivXDoctorII2.2 without success. I've also downloaded the MS-MPEG4v1 and v2 and placed them in the /Library/Quicktime folder (don't know for sure if there's anything else to do with them). Still white screen. Ultimately, I'd like these to work in iMovie, which I believe requires they work in Quicktime. Any more suggestions?

Reaction score
same problem

ive been having the same problem on my Mac... i have OS X and using QT PRO... my video tracker says IV50, but i cant find the codec for it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.