• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

What's in store for NEW laptops?

H

HazelGirl

I was just wondering....I am currently a PC user and will remain so at least untill I get some ridiculuosly high paying job or win the lottery so I can afford a Mac :)

Anyway, I was just wonder...does anyone know what is in store for future Mac laptops? For example....

1. dual format (+/-) DVD RW drives?
2.more spaced out keyboard?
3. A full numeric keypad on the keybaord?
4. More USB ports?
5. Ability to play music without booting up the OS (maybe this exists already, but I am not sure)
6. A drop in price....maybe???

Other features?

Just wondering what anyone thinks will be in store for newer laptops.

OP
V

vjs0710

i hope they upgrade the processors in the G4 notebooks soon? especially the powerbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. Well the desktops aren't dual yet so i wouldn't expect it from laptops
2. Except for the 12"ers the 14,15,17 are actually more spaced out than comparably sized pc laptops
3. Doubtful....they have the numlock pad but for most things the top pad is fine
4. I wouldn't expect more than the 2 that are there right now since apple pushes firewire for everything.
5. Well since the only way of displaying any controls is through the screen since there are no status displays like on many HP laptops I don''t see that as happening....plus they want people to buy iPods for that
6. They will all probably be the same. Several variations of each model with the top powerbook starting at 2999

The only major upgrade I see coming is a G5 in a PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vjs0710 said:
i hope they upgrade the processors in the G4 notebooks soon? especially the powerbooks.
They won't be doing any major updates until the summer and even then it isn't known what the change will be whether its a step up in processor speed of a bump up to a lowerspeed G5 (lower as in 1.3 or 4 ghz)

OP
T

TylerMoney

I looked into prices...and for what you get....mac laptops aren't really expensive anymore..their pretty agressivley priced.....I was going to buy a pc laptop because I thought the same thing...then when I was looking for the specs and power I wanted..pc's...good ones...weren't any cheaper int the laptop department....and you can't really compare a 1ghz G4 chip to a 1mhz intel chip...they're different....so the power book 1ghz is pretty dizamn powerful...I enjoy mine....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"a 1ghz G4 chip to a 1mhz intel chip"

I should hope you wouldn't compare those two, seems kind of unfair huh?

But seriously i agree, if you want a slim, sturdy powerful PC laptop you'd at least have to shell out as much as you do for the iBook series. Admittedly the powerbook IS more expensive than comparble PC laptops but then again they are for professional high-end users and are smaller and sleeker than anything in their power category on the PC format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
HazelGirl said:
I was just wondering....I am currently a PC user and will remain so at least untill I get some ridiculuosly high paying job or win the lottery so I can afford a Mac :)

Anyway, I was just wonder...does anyone know what is in store for future Mac laptops? For example....

1. dual format (+/-) DVD RW drives?
2.more spaced out keyboard?
3. A full numeric keypad on the keybaord?
4. More USB ports?
5. Ability to play music without booting up the OS (maybe this exists already, but I am not sure)
6. A drop in price....maybe???

Other features?

Just wondering what anyone thinks will be in store for newer laptops.

1. Give it a year or two.
2. 17'' I believe is fullsized. (mb 15 also)
3. probly never.
4. How many you need? Just get a hub. (I think there are 3 USBs) Don't forget FireWire!
5. We got the iPod for that.
6. Summer releases there is always a drop in price. Some people think april there will be a release... im not putting money on it.

OP
V

vjs0710

im wondering what will they release in april or the summer. Cause i plan on buying a powerbook in late May. Should I wait till later in the summer to get it?

My friend bought the 10 gb iPod for christmas and then two weeks later they changed it to 15. i dont want this to happen to me with the powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are already waiting til May wait until they have the WWDC conference which is when they will probably announce the new updates (June 28-July 2nd)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Where is april comming from?! Did I miss an announcement? Apple has never released anything worth a look in april! Summer is the time to look. That is the big apple picking season.

OP
W

wiggin1605

Hmm I wonder why oh yah!

Mabey it has some thing to do with the fact that this year is the big anniversery of the mac an they plan on haveing a lot of major realses this year. that could be the reason graphite.

OP
W

wiggin1605

An

An mabey that is when the first one was realsed im not sure on this one at all though so. It could be an it might not be. If it is then they probly want something big to come out on the same day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.