Mac window effects

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very sorry if this has been answered before, but after much googling and searching the forum I still couldn't find an answer. Bear in mind I've never used OS X since I'm still pondering a switch. I love almost everything I see about Mac OS X, except one thing. I've seen some screencasts where a window when minimized gets "vacuumed" into the dock, is there any way to remove this effect or any other undesired window effects I might stumble upon (leaving the ones I like active) without eliminating the functionality with it associated?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You meant the genie effect of the window shrinking into the dock. There is another option that simply shrinks the Window into the dock but the effect is more or less the same and can't be turned off that I know of.

You can get something like WindowShade X and simply double click the to of the window to hide it. There are options in Window shade as to how you can set it up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, after googling with the term "genie effect" results were drastically better :D

Seems that there exists freeware that change options like these if by any chance it is not already supported in the System Preferences in the Dock section.

Thanks once again for making my choice even more obvious ;)

Reaction score
Let me tell you one thing. I personally never use the dock to minimize things. I don't know why I never do, but I don't. I usually just hit Ctrl + H and hide everything. So chances are this feature won't even bother you. But of course you can deactivate it, meaning you can use a scale effect instead.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just out of curiousity, what is it about the eye-candy that bothers you? I personally like the effect, but I don't understand the problem. Is it just the small amount of system overhead that is discouraging? If that's the case, be aware that there are a LOT of visual effects like this in OS X, this is just a drop in the bucket.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very sorry if this has been answered before, but after much googling and searching the forum I still couldn't find an answer. Bear in mind I've never used OS X since I'm still pondering a switch. I love almost everything I see about Mac OS X, except one thing. I've seen some screencasts where a window when minimized gets "vacuumed" into the dock, is there any way to remove this effect or any other undesired window effects I might stumble upon (leaving the ones I like active) without eliminating the functionality with it associated?

Thanks in advance

Regarding the Dock, if you prefer not to use it at all why not give Todos a spin:

OP
S
Reaction score
First of all thanks for all your replies.

I love eye-candy, dock especially but honestly that effect really bothers me. I love how Exposé swooshes back and forth, I've loved a lot of other effects I've seen in screencasts but some I'm not that crazy about. It seems that normally there are alternatives, making the experience very personalizable ;) Ctrl + H seems to be the way I'd normally hide the windows then.

Reaction score
Yes it does, but I usually know what windows I have, whether minimized or hidden.

I don't see the problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I have a quick question... When I use FireFox I click on it from the Dock it first opens a small window then opens up to the internet. I have it in my applications folder.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a quick question... When I use FireFox I click on it from the Dock it first opens a small window then opens up to the internet. I have it in my applications folder.

What is the question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

When it opens up that small window, you then have to click on FireFox again, right? If that's the case, then drag the FireFox icon to your applications folder. After that, drag the icon from your Applications folder to the dock, and remove the old one. Now it will open FireFox directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
That was it nukemm... I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
No problem, man. I had the same problem a couple of weeks back. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.