• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut pro cache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
How can I delete this. after the inital render of a 1 hour video I lost 35gigs of space. I traced this the the final cut pro document folder. what should I delete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The render files are what is taking up all the space. This is how final cut pro works if you delete those files you will have to re-render everything. You should not be rendering into final cut pro documents every time, you should set the capture scratch at the beginning of each project and every time you change between projects to be in the folder in which the project resides so that when you are done and you erase the folder you erase all files associated with the project, including render files. Changing capture scratch can be changed in the preferences or in the log and capture window under the settings tab. I will see If I can find a good online tutorial for you.

Edit: I didn't read this all the way through, but it looks like it has very good information from what I did read. http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_scratch_disks.html

Reaction score
the bad thing about final cut is that when you delete the origional data off your computer, it deleates it off your project. what you can do is export to quicktime (if your completely done) and then discard your old files.
i hope this helps... and that im right!,
joshlacrosse

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, i'll get rid of that stuff when i'm completly done with the project and i export it to a quicktime file

Reaction score
np, i hope it works and didnt completely ruin your project! maybe you should back up the stuff to a dvd jist i case.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
np, i hope it works and didnt completely ruin your project! maybe you should back up the stuff to a dvd jist i case.

I didn't delete anything yet thank goodness

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.