Removing Read Only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
So I just got my new MacBook on Wednesday. I absolutely love it so far, and am in the process of moving my files from my PC on over to the MB. I tried to do the whole network connect thing, but I think my old computer hated me enough to prevent it from happening. So I have resorted to backing up all of my important stuff on to DVD's and transferring them over the "old fashioned" way.

It's actually been pretty smooth sailing so far, until I went to open one of my documents last night and noticed it was read only. (I'm using Office 2004, btw.) No biggie, as I figured out how to just remove the read only security setting with "Get Info". However, I have almost 1200 documents, and it would be... well... a real pain in the buttocks to have to go through and change every single one individually from "read only" to "read and write".

Is there a way to batch change the security settings on files? I would love to be able to just change the main folder and have all of the files in the folder update as well, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Any advice?

M

MacHeadCase

Just click on the folder that contains all the files and click on Apply to enclosed items at the bottom of the Get Info window.

OP
crazyivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
Are you kidding me?
It's that easy?

I didn't even notice that button last night. I'll have to try it when I get home. Crikey... I spent a good 20 minutes this morning just working on one folder...

Thanks for the tip!

M

MacHeadCase

No prob, glad I could help. And yes it is that easy! :girl:

If your files aren't in the same folder just create a new folder with all of them inside it. Then apply this trick. Then you can replace them however you like on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Another solution is to start up Terminal. cd to the folder in question, and enter the following command:

chmod +w *

This adds write access (the "+w") to all files (the "*").

Repeat per folder you need to do. This is actually pretty flexible. For example, if you only wanted to modify the .mpg files but not the .avi files (silly example I know, but works for this illustration), use this form of the command instead:

chmod +w *.mpg

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
for folder and all that is under it:

chmod -R +w *

OP
crazyivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
Well hot diggity!
Thanks to everyone for responding!

I'm feeling even better now about leaving the PC world.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.