• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

god bless Micro$oft

Reaction score
OSX meets Windows via parallels....

this came of a MacPro running parallels, with Windows Vista RC2 (build 5744). Trying to write a jpg to disk, via iexplorer.

All I can say is, what a wonderful final build Micro$oft, can't wait to pay $400 for it when it hits the shelves.

and I thought I was going to have to wait a while for my first blue screen of death, but it took under 4 hours.

vista.jpg

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is vista supported through parallels yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
My first guess is no.

My second statement is- Who cares? Vista is going to be a pile of *you know what*. The average person is going to have to get a new computer to run it decently.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, that's what i was guessing. of course it's going to have all sorts of problems, especially under parallels if parallels wasn't designed to support it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Yes, Parallels supports Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i have used vista on windows with no problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Vista on Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've run Vista under Parallels with no issue.

...other than the fact that it's Vista, of course. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
First, RC2 isn't the final build; the final build for sale is the final build. Second, make sure you're not running the x64 edition as I don't believe it is supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
First, RC2 isn't the final build; the final build for sale is the final build. Second, make sure you're not running the x64 edition as I don't believe it is supported.

so when is the actual release date for the full, for sale version of vista anyway... or has it already happened and i am way out of the loop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
so when is the actual release date for the full, for sale version of vista anyway... or has it already happened and i am way out of the loop?

End of the month, but the Business edition was released to enterprise in November and Technet and MSDN subscribers are able to download the RTM versions already. I'm running the Ultimate RTM (technet plus subscriber) and it is much better than the RCs, though I haven't had a BSOD since the February CTB.

And it runs fine on older computers (that aren't too old anyways and have plenty of memory). My 3 year old Dell does just fine. There has been a lot of FUD about Vista flying around, but in my opinion, it's at a much more usable state than XP was at RTM.

Edit:

Apparently Bill Gates will be giving the keynote at the CES this weekend to anounce it. I'm sure you're all excited and will be watching the webcast. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
End of the month, but the Business edition was released to enterprise in November and Technet and MSDN subscribers are able to download the RTM versions already. I'm running the Ultimate RTM (technet plus subscriber) and it is much better than the RCs, though I haven't had a BSOD since the February CTB.

And it runs fine on older computers (that aren't too old anyways and have plenty of memory). My 3 year old Dell does just fine. There has been a lot of FUD about Vista flying around, but in my opinion, it's at a much more usable state than XP was at RTM.

alright, to be honest, i have NO idea what any of that means, but i did understand the first 4 words - end of the month. thats enough to answer my question lol...

OP
C
Reaction score
your absoutely correct RC2 isn't the final build... but 5744 IS THE FINAL BUILD to be released before full retail. It is supposed to be the bug free version.

secondly your correct I tried to install the 64 bit version on parallels as well. It is supposably not supported by parallels (according to parallels admin). Upon attempting to install windows RC2 build 5744 x64 under parallels, install crashes and displays a message telling me my processor isn't 64 bit.

Funny enought this is a windows error message not a parallels error message. I hope someone informs the folks at Micro$oft the Xeon chip is infact 64 bit, this info might come in handy with allot of server installs.

Aside from excessive CPU usage parallels RC2 build 5744 32-bit runs quite well (considering its windows). However I can't say my first blue screen of death didn't crack a smile, comming from me a long time windows user, and relatively new mac user.

Reaction score
Funny enought this is a windows error message not a parallels error message. I hope someone informs the folks at Micro$oft the Xeon chip is infact 64 bit, this info might come in handy with allot of server installs.

But when you're running Parallels, Windows operates on a virtual machine, not on your Xeon. And the virtual machine's "CPU" isn't compatible with the 64-bit version of Vista.

OP
C
Reaction score
I suppose it is parallels passing off my CPU as 32 bit. Funny though windows device manager sees the Xeon chip.

I guess it doesn't matter now anyway. I need to reinstall, as I get that same BSoD at every startup, just after the windows loading screen, seemingly right at the login screen, also in safe-mode. CLASSIC WINDOWS... if all else fails fdisk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.