Removing windows files

Reaction score
I formatted my External drive to a FAT32 beofre switching, however there are various windows system files that I cannto delete like system recycler and volume info any suggestion show to remove these

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
they should just delete.

are you doing this from a windows machine? if so they're considered vital system files and you won't be able to delete them.

if you're accessing the drive from a mac, they should just delete...

edit: also, if you're going to mount it on a windows machine again, it will create those files every time you mount it, even if you keep removing them when you're mounted on a mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
I no longer have a winows machine just OSX and it will nto delete i get the following error

Sorry, the operation could not be completed becuase an unexpected error occured (Error code -1407)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
weird.

check the ownership of the folders by doing a "get info". you may need to take ownership of those folders before deleting.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well i can delete individual files within the folder but not the folder itself, i checked permissions have have full read/write access.

The folders are recycle and System restore files, i have never had windows installed on it always been my backup drive

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sorry, i'm not on my mac now, but i believe in get info, part of the permissions is actual ownership, not just ability to read write. check for that - i may be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're right. The bottom section is called Ownership and Permissions. You have to dig into the Details section to get to Ownership and from there you should be able to make the changes.

I found a solution at the Apple site that might help you out.

Unable to move, unlock, modify, or copy an item

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.