10 Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Switched to OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice.

pretty much all of that and more can be found here too.

welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I didn't know about the iTunes tip. It is good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would take issue with # 7 and #8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
yeah. i saw this on digg. great article though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would take issue with # 7 and #8.
I tend to agree (to a point) with those two.
The only one I have a real issue with is #1... an issue of semantics really:
Article said:
When you install an application, you might not have actually installed an application. - It took me a good couple of days to realize that I wasn't really installing NeoOffice.
The wording is confusing. It should read something like "When you think you install an application, you might not have actually installed an application."
In his case (as with many new Mac users) the application simply isn't installed period. His wording would imply that installations don't go as intended or that they may have unexpected problems causing the software to not install at all. This could lead to misunderstanding or confusion to a new Mac user.
If it was properly installed by the user, then there would be no question about it. :black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm guessing it's that there is an option to have itunes not make duplicates of media you play in itunes.

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I've done on my PC, I keep my music as I like it. But strangely on my Mac iTunes seems to be boss.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I've done on my PC, I keep my music as I like it. But strangely on my Mac iTunes seems to be boss.

not when you tell audion to be the default mp3/wav etc player.
icon12.gif

Reaction score
I'm tempted to D/L it but I've got my system all worked out. I use SizzlingKeys in conjunction with iTunes. To play/pause/next/previous a track it's all keyboard combos and you get a transparant window telling you artist/track info.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
audion shouldn't add anything unnecessary, and shouldn't own anything on it's own. should be a pretty safe trial if you wanted to test it. at the very least, it's just another tool to use.

handy for adding one track at a time to a playlist and checking length for burning to a regular music cd. or for making some order out of a larger mp3 cd. wmp 9 or 10 on a windows sytem used to be a great tool for doing this sort of thing, i've yet to find something as good. honestly. audion comes pretty close but lacks a little in the freedom of ordering.

edit: ooh! just noticed 1005 posts. sheesh, i don't even post in the word games threads...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ooh! just noticed 1005 posts. sheesh, i don't even post in the word games threads...

Those windows servers you babysit must be running pretty smooth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.