• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

reasons why you choose mac ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
We all know mac is a great os. But what exactly are your reasons for getting a mac over a pc ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, i didn't choose it per-se. A company I went to work for back in early 95, when I left the service, used Macs and I sort of got hooked there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
We all know mac is a great os. But what exactly are your reasons for getting a mac over a pc ?

• No viruses.
• It's fast.
• No registry.
• It's not DLL heck.
• It just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
my school has macs, and i have been useing them ever sence i remember... but my scool is bass ackwards, we have Windows PC's in our tech class which is the video, design and websites. and have macs in the buisness class

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've had a few windows desktops (dating back to only 3.1), and a few windows laptops.
i work as wintel server support.

when my last HP 17" notebook melted a few months back, i decided that if i was going to put up with windows i was going to get paid for it. so here i am, sitting at my job, on my little 14" HP notebook, thousands of servers behind me. and though i have to deal with windows here... cha-ching! i get paid for it.

at home, my little white macbook sits in a cabinet in my living room. waiting for me like a little loyal dog. and i don't have to worry each time i pull it out and turn it on...

it just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Took digital imaging in school, and they used all macs, then I went to the tv studio and became really into producing videos, and they used macs, so I bought myself one and have been doing digital imaging and tv ever since on my own personal computers, and loved it so much that I use it for my day to day stuff too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
• No viruses.
• It's fast.
• No registry.
• It's not DLL heck.
• It just works.

That.. Plus the iLife suite.. The way CS2 looks/performs on a Mac.. Drag/Drop for EVERY thing.. No spyware.. OS X has the coolest freeware apps.. The Dock/Menubar interface.. I spend more time using my computer than tinkering with it to get it to work optimally..

Reaction score
No viruses, no spyware, integration of one program to another, excellent GUI, and it works just as fast today as it did when I bought it over a year ago. Plain and simple: just works.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Always been curious about the Mac,
gettin tired of MS
been playing around with Linux for a little while and kinda likin it

Use to be a gamer big time, starting with the Intellivision and my first computer the TI99
For years had to either buy, build, or upgrade just in order to play the newest game that came out.
Never had a "need" for a laptop, that and to get a laptop that would be able to play that game I had to have would cost me double or triple what I could build the desktop version for.

After a friend gave me his notebook to get back running for him (he had 5 viruses and 72 different pieces of spyware on his machine), I got to play with it for a week. Just decided it was time, the kid wanted a Mac, he's not into computers the way I am, just needs one that works for his video editing, so I took a look also.

Bottom line, knew I wouldn't be happy without something close to top of the line in processor and video

And Dell, HP, Alienware, Toshiba, any of them that could campare to the hardware on this MBP, add another $700-$1,500 to the price. That and now I can put windows on here if I need it for something - makes a lot of sense.

So, with the money I saved vs buying the Dell I probably would have gotten, bought the kid the 20" iMac.
We both get a new toy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
It's BEAUTIFUL! I love the classy look and the extra room with everything built into the "monitor." The white/grey is an awesome break from the dull colors of the PC. That's on the exterior of course, but the ease of use, layout, dock, are all simple to learn (been a switcher just one month) for us newbies. Safari is a super browser and I like how system pref's work. Very organized! I'm a believer!

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you like safari, try a browser called sunrise. it's super quick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Not knowing enough of Macs or OSX, the most important point of comparison was the price. A similar laptop, with similar amount of RAM, video memory, hard drive, screen, size and speed was about $200 less, but...
- The battery of the Windows laptop had at the most half the capacity of the iBook's.
- The PC laptop's video memory was shared, the iBook had dedicated memory.
- My choice AV software (Norton AV) costs $40, and is mandatory for any Windows machine, with a Mac the AV is an option.
- Lifting the Windows laptop from one corner, with one hand actually bends the entire case a little bit, the iBook is solid.
- The number of complaints from other brands is at least 33% bigger than Apple's.
- An old Mac does more than an old Windows laptop.
- Since my social life sucks (if it can be considered a life at all), reading that the iBook is called "Chick Magnet" in several reviews and jokes was a plus. BTW, it works.

I think this is still true for all new Apple laptops, except maybe for battery life, but i have read Vista is a battery killer so it will be a valid point in a few months again. I have been tempted to build a desktop for gaming, but i would never buy a laptop from other brand.

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this hasn't been a good thread, i guess because everyone likes mac for all the same reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Been with Windows forever, wanted a change
Wanted to learn something new
Its thin and light (I have a Macbook)
Looks nice
Loved the PC vs. Mac ads
No Viruses
No spyware
No crashes(so far anyway)
No constant updates (for anti-virus, spyware, Windows etc.). It got annoying.
Easy to get rid of programs you don't want/need.

If I get another desktop, it will be a Mac.

Reaction score
Hated computers ... they were too expensive. Didn't think they were necessary and know anything about the difference between Mac and them. It was 1995.

Suddenly, I'm offered a computer for AUS$50 and I go, "What! I can have a whole computer for only $50 ... I'm in!"

Next thing I know I'm the proud owner of my first computer - a Macintosh Classic! I took to it with a relish, looking under the bonnet and getting my feet well and truely wet.

The rest is histoire!

Reaction score
I bought it because basicly I always wanted one, and that with a PC I am forever formatting it to keep it going at a reasonable speed, and no need for updates viruses.

And the major Factor is VISTA well I tried it on my recently built top spec machine and ground to a halt so thats was the straw.

One thing I have to say is the poor support for the U.K, the more and more I use it the more I find that its all set up for the US and unable to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Mainly because I got annoyed by Windows and looked into alternatives.

After seeing Macs in shops, on TV and stuff I thought it would be pretty cool to check em out.

And now I own 3 Macs in 9 months! (well techincally my first, a G3 iMac is now my sisters!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
20+ years as a UNIX geek and hundreds of rebuilds of my personal Windows machines later, it was about time.

Plus, someone really cute suggested it to me and I can't say "no."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.