• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

ps3, xbox 360, or nintendo wii ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
Which one is your personal favorite/the best; ps3, xbox 360, or the wii ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
Xbox 360, Wii is great but relitacly, i'm to lazy to be moving all about all the time :)

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think you can switch from actual movement to just controller, but i'm not sure, i haven't looked much into it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
yea, im pretty sure your right, but i still prefer my xbox 360's power (only microsoft product i like)

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it really is isn't it

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
personally i'm goin for the wii, people keep saying america is too fat and that just might be the solution for kids to loose weight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Xbox 360 Hands down.. Combined with Connect360, who needs windows anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
personally i'm goin for the wii, people keep saying america is too fat and that just might be the solution for kids to loose weight.
Now I really have to agree with you there. I need to lose weight and have fun doing it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
PS3, because I have too many PS2 and PS1 games to switch to another console.

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when do you think they will begin useing the ps3 technology of blue ray in computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
when do you think they will begin useing the ps3 technology of blue ray in computers?

It's begun. At my local London Drugs they have Sony computer that have Blu-Ray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Wii....Super Smash Bros. Brawl....can't wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
blu-ray is going to fail just like beta-max, mini disc, and umd have, just face it, sony can't make a new media type thats successful

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sony made all of that ? i believe that we might begin useing blueray as long that there are no disadvantages

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ps3 will have lots more potential than the xbox if sony can get it's online game together to challenge xboxlive. it's a stronger box, has the motion sensing controllers, blu-ray, etc.

xbox 360 does have a superior price point. though that doesn't always work.

that said, i really want a wii.
and once a proper GT5 appears i will be helpless, and will succumb and buy a ps3. hopefully by then they upgrade whatever firmware they have to play ps2 games without the dreaded 'jaggies'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
sany made all those standerds, and i really believe that HD-DVD will win. I dont' like to say it, but the biggest sofware giant (Microsoft) is Backing HD-DVD so a lot of PC are going to have HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray, and the older, less tech savvy people who don't spend their time researching this stuff are not going to know what Blu-Ray is. it's title does not say anything about what it does. thy will by HD-DVD becasue they know it will be HD, and a DVD.

Another factor hat is going to effect the battle are the consoles. x360 is going with HD-DVD (th external 100 someting player) and the PS3 is going Blu-Ray. The x360 is a lot more popular then the PS3 and cheaper. there for it will have a bigger market share (i believe, parents who buy their kids consoles are more likely to pay for an x360 then a PS3 due to the price). The PS3 was also named he biggest loser of 2006 by New York Times.

Blu-Ray is also more expensive to make (although i don't think there is much of a difference anymore) so the media is goin to cost more (not to the end consumers, but to the studios who are going to use the media), so more studios are going to back HD-DVD due to the lower cost and greater profits. The Players are also cheaper for HD-DVD, which will also be a deciding factor.

Now before you say "but Blu-Ray can hold more content". That is true, but HD-DVD has more then enough to get a HD movie on it. Current non-HD movies look pretty good and the only use 4.7gb, or the dual layer 8.5gb. So relisticaly the 15gb capacity of single layer HD-DVD is enough, you dont need the 25gb capacity of the Blu-Ray single layer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
HP and Dell also have laptops with Blu-Ray drives.

From what I hear the only disadvantage is the cost.

its not just about advantages and disadvantages. Betamas was beter then VHS, but VHS won that war. its all about cost, and marketability of the product.

Reaction score
I made a mistake, HP has HD-DVD drives :)

Also the titles available is going to be a big part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.