• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gmail users... be carefull

M

MacHeadCase

Caught this two days ago off of Wired's Monkey Bites and didn't have time to post it. Seems there is a vulnerability in the Gmail service even though Google says all is cool...

More bad news for Google: GMail is vulnerable to a hack which enables malicious websites to hijack your contacts list, including the name, email address and avatar of all your contacts. Google claims to have fixed the flaw, but apparently it still exists on the Google Notebook and Google Groups server.

So just a heads up. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
Thanks for the warning

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Maybe not you... but your contacts are sure gonna remember you!
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Thanks for the heads up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Cheers for the warning. Is there Anything that can be done to help prevent this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thanks for the info. Is .Mac mail different than gmail? If so, maybe that's another reason for subscribing (I'm debating).

OP
M

MacHeadCase

One thing I can say is that I've used the same .Mac account for 5 years just about and have never had any spam so Apple is extremely vigilant against spam and I can frankly say I have never heard any type of security problem like that with .Mac. And they don't do like M$ and the Hotmail accounts i.e. sell the email addies stored in their users' contact lists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.