• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

£2000 Piece of Scrap Metal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok so after waiting weeks for my new Mac Pro to arrive (i would of thought after spending £2000 with a company the least they could do is deliver it on time) i drove 150 miles to parents place to pick it up only to find it doesn't even turn on... it does nothing... no mouse and keyboard.

After all the hype about how good apple are and how good their customer service is blah blah blah.. its seems like my worries about getting another apple product (i have been very dissapointed with the ipods so have alot of people i know and thus was worried about switching to a mac) have come true and to add insult to injury Apple wont be able to resolve the problem or get me a new system for at least 3 weeks!

Anyone else experienced problems like this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have never had a problem like this, all my macs have arrived in perfect conditoin and I have been very happy. The last time I had to deal with customer service my power adapter was starting to fray with my macbook pro and less then 24 hours later I had received a new one in the mail.

sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I would give apple another shot if you are willing.

Reaction score
Joe -- did you order directly from Apple or through a reseller?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
im going to call them in the morning and give them 48 hours to get someone round my house to replace the broken mac or ill crap in a envolope and send it to apple. They send me some of their crap ill send them some of mine :D

lol at least i still have a bit of humour left in me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
gd for you to have some humour left !.

All of my macs and apple related stuff has arrived on time or earlier.

Reaction score
The mouse/keyboard: Did you remember to add that into the order? If memory serves right, that and the Mini don't come with a mouse, keyboard, or display by default.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure sending crap through post is illegal.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Joe -- did you order directly from Apple or through a reseller?

direct from Apple. I am not sure if the USA is the same but Customer Service in the UK for most big companies is appalling and it seems Apple follows the same trend!

There is an apple store 45 minutes away from me so going to try and get them to send someone from that store with a brand new mac pro tomorrow.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and I'm pretty sure sending crap through post is illegal.

i was joking ;) Having said that im pretty sure its even more illegal to sell someone a faulty product.

Packaging was fine, just found the apple keyboard and mouse, dad had put it to one side and i couldn't see them, so at least i have something from Apple that works, or at least i hope they work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i was joking ;) Having said that im pretty sure its even more illegal to sell someone a faulty product.

Packaging was fine, just found the apple keyboard and mouse, dad had put it to one side and i couldn't see them, so at least i have something from Apple that works, or at least i hope they work.

Stuff happens - it's rare, but these are complex machines and every once in awhile, you have faulty components (all manufacturers do).

That said, my experience with Apple was completely opposite (obviously, I live in the U.S., so it's apples to oranges - excuse the pun). I ordered my MacBook Pro on Christmas evening and received it first thing in the morning on 12/27. How's that for fast shipping?

In any case, if your dealings with Apple's customer service have been less than satisfactory thus far, I would either call back and demand a supervisor/escalation or go to the nearest Apple store and demand a replacement. One would think that a defective machine would receive higher priority than a 3 week turnaround time on new hardware. I probably would have blown my top as well.

I'm curious as to whether the customer service line you called was an "outsourced" (read: third-world country) call center. Sometimes these folks read off scripts and refuse to deviate from said script. In these cases, my response is to repeatedly request a supervisor. In some cases, they will tell you that "a supervisor will tell you the same thing", to which I respond "that's fine, I'd rather hear it from them". If all else fails, my backup approach is to extend the receiver about 12 inches from my mouth and yell "SUPERVISOR -NOW!". When you return the phone to your ear, you'll either be on hold or hung up on. Most of the time, particularly if the call center is monitored, you'll just sit on hold for a few minutes waiting for a supervisor - at which point, after repeating your story, you'll likely get satisfaction. If not, remember to repeat the phrase "this is unacceptable" until another option is presented.

Cheers ;)

M

MacHeadCase

Ok so after waiting weeks for my new Mac Pro to arrive (i would of thought after spending £2000 with a company the least they could do is deliver it on time) i drove 150 miles to parents place to pick it up only to find it doesn't even turn on... it does nothing... no mouse and keyboard.
*Snip*

Uh I don't understand in this case...

If you tried to boot without any mouse or keyboard, wouldn't that be reason why it doesn't start? Detecting mouse and keyboard is part of the startup process...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i ordered my Mac on boxing day, the time it took to deliver didn't bother me, i just wanted my Mac sooo bad and when i finally got it and found it was a duff, well like you said i blew my top! Apple customer service is dealt with the head office over in Ireland and it was a supervisor i spoke to. Im hoping ill have more luck in the morning! Wish me luck!

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh I don't understand in this case...

If you tried to boot without any mouse or keyboard, wouldn't that be reason why it doesn't start? Detecting mouse and keyboard is part of the startup process...

I tried booting with the mouse and keyboard plugged in and unplugged, tried with the monitor plugged in and unplugged, i opened up the tower to take a look to make sure everything was connected.

My guess is its the PSU, it doesn't even power up. It gives a noise similar to noise i heard on a duff PC PSU once, so thats my conclusion. Im hoping someone can come to me tomorrow and resolve my problem!

M

MacHeadCase

Oh and before I forget, this will be considered to be a DOA Mac so you are entitled to an exchange with another brand new unit.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and before I forget, this will be considered to be a DOA Mac so you are entitled to an exchange with another brand new unit.

Thanks for the heads up, ill be on the case in the morning.

Im now seriously considering a refund and going back to a PC, i get the feeling this is going to be the first of many problems with apple!

Roger: Interesting read, good to hear everything sorted itself out in the end, are you still glad that you made the switch in the first place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Ugh™. Don't leave us. I had a craptastic iMac Core Duo. Hard Drive failed and needed to be replaced twice. Logic board went twice too. SuperDrive failed, was replaced, and the screen was replaced.

We still own it and use it happily. And I now have a PowerBook G4. And 2 iPod Nanos. And an AirPort Express.

I had ONE crap machine. Did I say one machine bad equals all machines bad? No.

You have a great computer when It's replaced with a shiney brand new working one. Don't worry about anything. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Ugh™. Don't leave us. I had a craptastic iMac Core Duo. Hard Drive failed and needed to be replaced twice. Logic board went twice too. SuperDrive failed, was replaced, and the screen was replaced.

We still own it and use it happily. And I now have a PowerBook G4. And 2 iPod Nanos. And an AirPort Express.

I had ONE crap machine. Did I say one machine bad equals all machines bad? No.

You have a great computer when It's replaced with a shiney brand new working one. Don't worry about anything. :)

I have to agree with iRye. I know you're having a bad ordeal with apple but don't give up on it right away! :black:

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
irye: i hope your right, im going to give apple one more chance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.