Will a Macbook Pro replace my Desktop PC?

Reaction score
Hello...

I'm currently in the market for a Macbook. I'm really interested in making the switch over to a mac and now seems to be the perfect time to do so.

I'm just wondering...What can I do with a PC that I can't do with a Mac? I was originally going to purchase a Macbook, but now I am thinking about selling my desktop (AMD Athlon 3200+) and purchasing a Macbook Pro...It will take up a LOT less space in my computer room.

I used to be a PC gamer, but have now moved onto consoles...So, gaming wouldn't be a problem...However, World of Warcraft will run on a Macbook correct?

Pretty much all I do now is use newsgroups, do some PSP homebrew, listen to music, and do quite a bit of word processing.

So, I guess...The big question is would I be able to survive without a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I just got a Macbook and I am not missing anything.

I have Neo Office (its free) as an MS Office replacement and WoW plays on my Macbook just fine.

Reaction score
Yea, mac does basically everything a PC does, but no spyware etc. and it looks pretty. Mines a tad to slow for my tastes, but I think I just need more ram. Im sure a MBP would blow it out of the water. You should definitely switch, its great. And Ive halfway installed windows on my mac twice, but cancelled both times because you just dont need it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...and to add to the other poster's comments...

If you can't do it on OS X, you can always install Bootcamp and run it from Windows. But your needs should be covered by native OS X software with no problem.

As far as whether a laptop will completely replace your desktop - I'd say unless you're playing games and need to constantly change your graphics card out, a laptop will suit you just fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ya, alright...I was thinking along the same lines as you guys...I wouldn't really play any games, with the exception of WoW...and maybe some oldschool SNES emulation...

I would love to be able to throw my desktop out the window!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Tazz212. Enjoy your stay.

And uhm remind me not to pass by your window any time soon.
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The only thing I will say about switching to mac is that macs require at-least 1gb of ram to really get the full mac experience, anything less will be painfully slow. Other then that you will be fine when switching, microsoft office can be purchased for the mac, iWork is an amazing suite of applications similar to office, and like stated above neooffice is free. Good luck buying a mac and welcome to mac-forums!

Reaction score
Installing memory on the MBP is supposed to be fairly simple, though I haven't done it myself. A quick search here at the forum should net you plenty of good answers.

The MBP is a perfectly good desktop replacement, but there are limits. A top-end notebook like the MBP is not going to be as powerful as a top-end desktop. But the MBP has the processing power, RAM, video, screen, and functionality most people would find more than adequate.

I game on mine (using Boot Camp) and have had no complaints.

Note that your topic asked about the MBP, but your link was to a MacBook. They aren't the same thing. In particular, the MB lacks a discrete video system (compared to the Pro, which uses an ATI X1600).

OP
T
Reaction score
Right...My link is to a Macbook...Which I think is what I will be purchasing...However, I'm trying to decide if it would be a better choice to shell out the cash and get a Macbook Pro...

I don't really need it for too much...

Reaction score
Main differences that I'm aware of:

1. Processor speed; the MB is a little slower than the Pro. I wouldn't worry about this overmuch unless you intend to do gaming or processor-intensive work. Web browsing, office apps, etc. usually don't need uber power.

2. Smaller screen: plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

3. Smaller HD: 80G isn't huge nowadays. But as a desktop replacement, you can always get an external drive down the road for the files that don't have to stay portable.

4. Graphics: as I mentioned previously, the MB uses on-board processing and memory to handle graphics tasks. This will effect games, some graphics-intensive apps, and a certain amount of "eye candy."

5. Card slot: MB doesn't have one; the odds this will affect you are pretty slim as there isn't much in the way of good /34 cards out there for the Pro to use, either.

6. Firewire: the MB has a FW 400 port but no FW 800 port.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, this was the Mac I am looking at...

Is it difficult to upgrade to 2GB? Or just your typical notebook RAM install?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10082602&catid=

I have a bad habit of immediately disassembling any new machine I purchase to check for component brand/quality (such as the HDD) and how difficult it is to get at the guts. In the case of the MB Pro, all you do is remove the battery, unscrew a few very small phillips head screws and remove a panel which will gain you access to the memory slots. I strongly suggest that you consider a third party vendor for memory and get the machine with the lowest spec for memory you can from Apple as their memory prices are ridiculous. Even if you go with a top tier vendor (I like and strongly recommend Crucial.com), you'll still likely pay less than half of what Apple charges.

Reaction score
I thought my MacBook Pro would replace my desktop PC, but I still keep it around and use it a bit.

Reaction score
My MBP replaced my HP 17" notebook which replaced my Dell XPS notebook which replaced my Micron 700MHz notebook which replaced my Pentium Pro 200MHz desktop ...

Does that count?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Right...My link is to a Macbook...Which I think is what I will be purchasing...However, I'm trying to decide if it would be a better choice to shell out the cash and get a Macbook Pro...

I don't really need it for too much...

This is the decision I was going through a few weeks ago. Todd (who has been very helpful) went over some of the differences. I was originally going to go for the regular MB (the white or the black), as the MBP is so much more expensive that the specs on paper didn't seem to warrant all that extra cost for my needs.

However, I urge you to go to the Mac store and check out both computers in the flesh, as that's where I found the differences that DID matter to me.

The MB is smaller, and has a smaller screen. Even with the resolution set as high as it will go, the viewable area lacks a lot compared to the MBP. This is most evident when viewing websites, though can be annoying when doing word processing, or if you do any photo editing. For instance, i'm not sure my whole post would fit on the MB screen...it probalby would, but without room for anything else (vertically) in the window. Also, the MBP comes with the option for a glossy screen, or the matte finish. The MB only comes with a glossy screen. Some people (including myself) prefer the matte screen, so that's a small factor to think about.

The keyboard on the MB is different as well. The keys are raised, and they are separated from one another. I preferred the feel of the MBP keyboard, which has recessed keys that don't have any spacing between them. Personal preference...but something that you'll want to check out for yourself. Also, the MBP keyboard lights up in dark rooms. The MB keyboard is not backlit.

I also noticed a big difference in the speakers. The MB speakers are hidden under the plastic, and the sound comes out through an open slot that lies where the 2 parts hinge together. Honesty, the speakers sound terrible. The MBP sound quality isn't anything to write home about either. They ARE laptops after all, but the MB sound quality is horrific, IMO.

All in all, I dragged my girlfriend to the Mac store while we were in the mall shopping and we wound up spending about 45 minutes in there going back and forth between a few different machines they had (all the different macbook models). I went in there planning on buying a White 13" MB. Within 5 minutes my girlfriend made up her mind as to weather or not the 15" MBP (which I was considering) was worth the extra cash. By the time I left, I decided to hang on to my money and wait a few months until I had the cash for the MBP.

Notable areas where the MB comes out on top are battery life and operating temp (as felt from the outside). The MB (based on me looking at the battery life meter while messing around with them & talking to the Mac guys about it) should get about 45 minutes more battery life out of a charge than the 15" MBP. It also feels a good deal cooler than the MBP when running. It says nothing about internal temps, but if feeling the heat makes you worry...something to think about.

I mean, keep in mind, these are laptops. So when I complain about screen size, or keyboard feel it's all relative. What one person sees as lacking in a computer, the next guy thinks is just fine. On paper they don't look all that different. But when you're actually typing on the things, and you pick them up and feel how they're built and look at the screen in front of you...the MBP is quite a bit nicer. Do you NEED something like that, do you NEED to spend the extra cash? It doesn't sound like it. Is it enough of a difference to make you want to? I'd definitely check both out in the flesh before deciding.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.