running pc hardware on macbook pro question

Reaction score
Hi,

Am considering getting a MBP, as the warranty on my 3-year-old Thinkpad runs out in April. I'll be off travelling in the spring and if the Thinkpad develops a problem I'll be stuck (the burner once gave up on me when I was in Australia, but IBM delivered a replacement the next day). I also need more processing power for very large TIFFs in PS CS2.

My question's about running hardware -- specifically a Canon 4200F scanner, Plextor DVD burner, two Seagate hard drives, two USB hubs and a Canon printer -- on the MBP. Will Boot Camp or Parallels allow me to install the drivers? (I may sell the Plextor as the MBP has a burner. The Plextor's not very portable, but it does allow me to burn at 16x while at home.)

NoBob.

Reaction score
They should all run on Mac without drivers, and most of it will run in Windows XP without drivers too. The ones needing drivers can be installed. The only thing I wonder about is the USB Hub, as I'm not sure whether these need any software at all to run.

Reaction score
USB Hubs should have no problems whatsoever. I heard that one of the updates to Tiger (I believe 10.4.8) allows for third-party hubs. Since I only have 4 ports, I have my printer, mouse and keyboard all plugged into one hidden below my desk, and they all work perfectly.

As for drivers, I've only ever needed to install 2 things for hardware to work: Palm Pilot software for my Palm, and for my printer, Gutenprint drivers. (I have an Epson Stylus C88, the installed drivers only went up to C86)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
There will be no need for you to install drivers for any of those above stated items. However you will no longer need your burner as you stated because the burner in the macbook pro is more then capable to burn dvds for you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks all for responding. Sorry I didn't reply sooner -- I didn't request "instant email notification", so didn't think anyone had replied.

NoBob.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.