Looking To Come Back To Mac

JRV

Reaction score
I have always used a PC and about a year ago I purchased an iBook G4. I loved it except for a few things. Now that BootCamp allows you to run both windows and MacOS I'm looking to come back. I will probably get a MacBook this spring.

I just had a couple questions if you hardcore Mac users could help:

1)Does BootCamp work? Anyone have trouble running windows on a Mac?

2)Did MacOS ever add a thumbnail viewing option? I found it very annoying that it didn't have one.

Thanks in advance. I'm getting very excited about rejoining the Mac world.

Reaction score
1) Bootcamp works, but Windows functionality might be somewhat compromised - but it basically runs, and all common apps run too.

2) Thumbnails in Finder? Yes, Mac OS X has thumbnails for images and basically anything of you use column view in Finder. Leopard will feature a Quick-View feature that let's you preview PDFs, images, videos etc. in a quick way.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Oh and another thing really bothered me about my mac. Why doesn't it have a print screen key/option like PC's do?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
honestly, you're not going to get as much image thumbnail support in osx as you have in windows.
what yogi pointed out does work, one image at a time. there's no "thumbnail" or "filmstrip" view as we know it in windows.

what you'll need to do if you want similar functionality is to get used to iphoto, or find a similar image browsing program, like adobe bridge (packed with essentials or, i believe the full verision of PS), imageplus, or some similar software (think ACDSee for windows).

Reaction score
Oh as I am new myself here are a few commands that should answer your print screen issue :)

Switch Programs: command+Tab (hold command, click Tab to cycle)
Send to Trash: command+backspace (called the "delete" key)
Force Quit: command+option+Esc (basically the same as alt+ctrl+del)
Screen Capture: command+control+shift+4 (sends to the clipboard)
Screen Capture (Whole Screen): command+control+shift+3 (sends to the clipboard)
Bullet Character "•": option+8

Reaction score
Print Screen - Shift+"Apple"+3=shot of entire screen as a PDF

Shift+"Apple"+4=crosshair that can be used to select an
area and take a PDF snapshot of just that area

If you hit the Shift+"Apple"+4 and then hit the space bar it will take a PDF snapshot of the entire window your cursor is over on the desktop at that time. Just saves them as PDFs right on the desktop.
OOPS. Previous post popped in before me. In 10.2.8 (computer I am on now at work) I do not need to use the Control key in this command.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
honestly, you're not going to get as much image thumbnail support in osx as you have in windows.
what yogi pointed out does work, one image at a time. there's no "thumbnail" or "filmstrip" view as we know it in windows.

what you'll need to do if you want similar functionality is to get used to iphoto, or find a similar image browsing program, like adobe bridge (packed with essentials or, i believe the full verision of PS), imageplus, or some similar software (think ACDSee for windows).

Yeah I'm familiar with Adobe Bridge but was hoping that MacOS would have added a better way to browse images in the folders. Doesn't anyone find it odd that MacOS doesn't do this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it works on mine. Even on the Desktop. Tiger 10.4.8 The one is a folder. Every picture shows the preview.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
there's no "thumbnail" or "filmstrip" view as we know it in windows.

1. Right-click/CMD-Click any blank space in a window.
2. Choose "Show View Options."
3. Check the box labeled "Show icon preview."

If you want this done for some windows but not all, you will need to do them one at a time. Or, you can use the option at the top of the Show View Options dialog box to make the change universal on your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
what ToddG and what dtravis7 showed both work in 10.4.8

M

MacHeadCase

Not only that, but if you open a folder with images in it, you can select them all (Command - or Apple key - + A) do a right-click (or a Control/click) and select SlideShow from the contextual menu that appears.

If there are a mix of other files and images, I can imagine that you can select only the images by Command/clicking on the image files and then right-click and select SlideShow from the contextual menu that appears.

This has nothing to do with thumbnails, mind you but it's nice to be able to view your images full-screen too. To get out of this mode, simply push the esc (Escape) key.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Oh also is there a good video player that plays all kinds of videos. Last time I had a Mac it didn't play avi files.

And I would just be using BootCamp to run IE and FireFox on XP in order to check the way my websites work correctly on PC software.

Do you think this BootCamp will be something that Apple will continue to produce? Will it eventually be able to run newer versions of Windows? Honestly this is the only thing making me come back to Mac. I like having the ability to run windows and check work on the same computer. I would be using the Mac part the most.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it works on mine. Even on the Desktop. Tiger 10.4.8 The one is a folder. Every picture shows the preview.

yeah, my mistake.

just tested this out pretty thoroughly while putting together the switcher f.a.q. i posted tonight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yeah, my mistake.

just tested this out pretty thoroughly while putting together the switcher f.a.q. i posted tonight.

Cool! Glad you got it working. At first when I tried it only some showed up and others did not till someone suggested how to set it up. Was so glad when I did as it's handy to see Thumbnails for every pic.

VLC will play most video files. Codecs can be installed to play most in Quicktime, but VLC just plays most of them without doing a thing.

Reaction score
And I would just be using BootCamp to run IE and FireFox on XP in order to check the way my websites work correctly on PC software.

Do you think this BootCamp will be something that Apple will continue to produce? Will it eventually be able to run newer versions of Windows? Honestly this is the only thing making me come back to Mac. I like having the ability to run windows and check work on the same computer. I would be using the Mac part the most.

If you just want to run WinXP/Vista versions of IE and Firefox, you'd be better off buying Parallels. That way you could run them right from your OSX desktop without having to reboot.

BootCamp is going to be built in to the next edition of Mac OS X. So it's here to stay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.