Re format?

Reaction score
Well had my mac for a few days now, dowloaded and installed bits and bobs here and there.
I have ntaleld a lot of apps tried to remove the ones i could that i think were of no use to me , however I have now found more or less all the apps i need as i have on my old Win PC.

So would it be advisable to format the machine to get a fresh start and just install what I now know what i mean as I like a clean machine with no rubbish, will the apps i installed slow the machine down at all.

THe reason I ask as I used to format my pc on a monthl baisi to stop it from slowing down is this the same case with the MAC or am i worriing about nothing?

Thanks in advanced Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core Duo, 15" 2Ghz, 2GB RAM
Probably no need...OS X runs off an entirely different filesystem to Windows, and is as such less prone to defragmentation and other system-draining issues.

You may want to get hold of an additional uninstaller (like AppZapper for example) to completely remove some of your experimental downloads.

Steven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
A good alternative to using appzapper I find is to just do a spotlight search when you want everything associated with an app gone - it will find it :yinyang:

Also about OSX slowing down: it really doesnt. Compared to windows it really does a good job of taking care of itself, I just like to run the maintenance scripts once in a while using something like MacJanitor, but I don't know if that's completely necessary since I know a lot of people who don't and their macs are still speedy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
You might want to try AppDelete. It's a free application similar to AppZapper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.