Future Switcher

Reaction score
Hey,

I plan on purchasing a 15 inch Macbook Pro with my tax return. I haven't used a mac since middle school. So I haven't touched a mac in over 9 years. So I have a few questions. I'm attending school for broadcasting, and I heard garage band is a good program for editing audio. I'm also very sick of windows, and am not looking forward to vista so I see this as the best time for me to switch. What changes should I expect from OSX, and where can I get some good games for mac. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
The first thing I would tell you is to get yourself to an Apple store and play with the computers so you can see what OS X is like and ask the staff questions. Youy may very well hate it! Think of it as test driving a car before you buy it.

One thing that most anyone can tell you on this board is to stop thinking like a windows user if/when you decide to get one.

Good luck!

OP
V
Reaction score
stop thinking like a windows user? how does a windows user think? I'm cunfused by that statement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
stop thinking like a windows user? how does a windows user think? I'm cunfused by that statement.

A lot of people have vented their frustrations because they were used to doing things a certain way with windows and many times it's not always the same way to do things on Mac. :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Well I'm always open to Learning new ways of doing things.. My main problem is there are no programs on a PC that excel at audio production. But I hear garage band is awesome.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Garage band is ok, there are much on the mac. But garage band is a great freebie!

Mac OS X is great, it takes a month or two to use to it. I hate using windows now. My advice is to go the Apple store and try it and ask your question like Mattlike said.

If and when you get a Macb don't use Windows or use it as little as possible for a few months. If you have half a brain OS X is easy to learn and great to use.

Reaction score
If you heard Garageband was awesome, then I wonder what "they" say when they see Logic Pro. Logic Pro is like ....woooh. But it requires professional hardware too, to unfold it's true power.

Garageband is great for recording if you have proper hardware (a good mic, a good room)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Once you actually start using OS X, you will no longer be confused.
Just remember, it is not windows. The same as you had to learn how to do things in windows, you will have to learn how to do them in OS X.

Reaction score

Simple example: the delete key on a Mac deletes backwards ("backspace") rather than forwards. For most people, this requires nothing more than a few moments of mental effort. But some people rant and rave that the delete button doesn't work right! because they didn't really want to leave Windows. They bought a Mac because it's trendy or looks cool or has a great reputation ... but they didn't actually want it to work any differently than what they're used to.

A lot of little differences exist between Windows and Mac OS X. Some people are willing to give up the BIG differences (better security against spam and spyware, greater stability, ease of use) because these little differences drive them up a wall.

That is why so many people are recommending you head to your local Apple Store if you can. Play with the OS. Play with Garage Band and some other software. Odds are you'll be very impressed with the Mac.

And welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
I did just that last Saturday, visited the Apple store about 40 miles away, but well worth the trip! After being a PC user the past 16 years, getting sick of not being able to do EVERYTHING I want. I'm somewhat of a power user at work and at home when on a computer and constantly having to upgrade this or add that is getting very old. I also look at it as a new challenge, making myself more marketable if/when I go for another job. Plus, from the multi-media perspective (digital photos, video, music, etc), I think Mac's blow away what I've been working with in PC's the past few years.

After my visit on Saturday, got on-line when I got home to customize an iMac 20 inch through Apple.com (2GB memory, improved graphics card) and I hope it gets here by Friday (sure, that's what I get for ordering over a holiday).

Now I'm checking out this great forum, seeing what I'm about to experience and kind of do my preliminary work before I get my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.