Installation of programs

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently gotten an old iMac from my grandpa (he's a Mad Adept). I've installed OS X 10.0 (which came with the iMac). Now, the only browser with it is a German bèta version of IE5, so I tried to install a different browser. But, every time I try to open the dmg file I download, I get this error message:

mac_screenie.PNG

Translation:
Blahblah.dmg could not be verified

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, KillerSponge.

Shiira is built on the same engine as Safari is. I think that Safari only supports, Jaguar and up? Maybe even only Panther and up? Since 10.0 (I think this was Puma?) is a total unknown to me I only know that it is very unstable and causes a lot of kernel panics) another member will surely come along and post the info you need.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome ^^

Well, Shiira was just an example. I also tried Firefox and Opera. With Firefox I got the same error message immediatly, with Opera I first got a license agreement, and then the same error message.

M

MacHeadCase

This Ars Technica article might help you a little? They say that OmniWeb was bundled with 10.0. You'd have to find that same version of OmniWeb, of course.

That or try buying on eBay a newer Mac OS X version like maybe Panther (10.3) if your hardware can handle it. You'd have much more choices then.

Reaction score
Yes, you should update to at least 10.3, becuase it's a major leap from where OS X was prior to that , and most software these days needs the technology it provides for almost, anything. Obviously DMG's rely on it too...

OP
K
Reaction score
I've managed to find and install an old version of OmniWeb. The interface and stability is pretty good, but its web standard support just... sucks. It can't handle DIV's at all. Ah well, at least I now know that it's just that my version of OS X needs a (big) update, and not me doing something wrong ^^

I've checked the prices, and I'm not sure It's worth it for me. I got this iMac mainly to experiment with... That, and I'm not sure it will run on this machine... It's only 400mhz, with 128mb ram...

Well, thanks for the answers anyway, I'm going to see what this iMac can do for me ^^

OP
K
Reaction score
I lent OS X 10.3 from my uncle (the other mac adept in the family ^^), and I must say, it does look a whole lot better! Might still be worth the purchase :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
If you upgrade the RAM to at least 512mb, then Panther (10.3) should be fine.

I used to run a G3 400MHz iMac with 640mb RAM and 80GB HDD and it ran quite nicely for general everyday tasks (iTunes, office, net etc). I have now given it to my sister.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm running Panther now, with only 128mb RAM, at it runs pretty good. As long as you don't do too much at the same time, you can perfectly use it for browsing/listening to music/chatting etc. ^^

M

MacHeadCase

RAM goes for practically nothing nowadays it would be worth it if you added some. It would make for a snappier response and a more stable iMac.

Just my two cents...

OP
K
Reaction score
I know, but I would have to replace all the RAM (all slots are used), and it runs good enough for now. I don't use it for my daily surfing (I'm typing this on my windows pc). I mainly got this iMac because I was curious of how MacOS works, and what I saw was good. It is a very simple yet complete system, suitable for a fairly big range of people.

This iMac will probably go to one of my sisters, just for surfing, e-mailing, chatting, listening to music etc.

I'm personally not convinced to totally 'switch', although I am thinking about buying a MacBook, because I LOVE the design. And thanks to BootCamp, I can still use Windows XP ^^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.