quark running slow

J

jezzabelle

I've recently started to have issues with Quark. Changing tools is very slow. I increased the memory and reinstalled the program and it's still running slow. I have 384mb of ram. I only have about 500mbs of space left on my computer but I didn't think that was really an issue. Anyone have suggestions for what I can do???

OP
M

mebad

In that you've changed the memory allocation, I take it you are using QXP 3, 4 or 5. Are you running in Classic or OS 9 (or below)? What model of Mac do you have? 500mb's of space left probably has nothing to do with your problem but I suggest you definitely get some more ram. The more you have, the more responsive QXP will be. If you are running OS 9 or below, the fewer applications you have running at the same time will also help.

OP
J

jezzabelle

Yes, I'm using QXP 4.1 and running OS 9 on a G3. I've never really had any problems before using QXP while running at least 3 or 4 other programs at the same time.

So you recommend that I get more ram even though I already have 384MB?

OP
M

mebad

More Ram is always needed. QXP is a Ram hog so you should have at the very least 512mbs.

Another thing to keep in mind is the size of images you have in a given doc. For the small amount of ram you currently possess, images over 1mb will begin to slow QXP down during a scrolling screen draw.

Another thing that will slow it down is your over-all document size. Try to keep your docs under 20 pages, especially when there a lot of graphics/images.

And lastly, Ram is what your applications use while open. An open application, even when idle, uses Ram. If there haven't been any QXP performance issues while running other apps, then the current doc(s) you are working may be larger than normal.

Of course I'm assuming that there is nothing wrong with your hardware. You should give Norton a run. After it makes repairs, use it to defrag your HD. That will also make your system more peppy, especially given the fact that your HD is getting maxed out on storage capacity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.