Got my macbook 2 months ago now a small crack is forming at the base

Reaction score
Hi,
I got a white macbook about 2 months ago and so far has been nothing but good things to say about this. Today when I was cleaning my macbook I noticed a tiny crack forming at the bottom of my macbook, now I'm pretty ******. I take good of my laptop its always in a sleeve in my note book bag. It has never been dropped. What can I do??? I have attached a pic, im pretty upset at the moment, I thought this thing was to be somewhat durable. I dont want this crack to spread, will my warranty cover this?
IMG_2317.jpg
:radioacti

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you should be able to take it right in.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought it online, can I just take it into the nearest apple store? This is my only laptop, what is the turn around time for this

Reaction score
yep, even if you bought it online you can still take it in. as for turn around time...you'll have to ask them

OP
V
Reaction score
kool so this should be covered under my warranty still. I was worried for a moment, now I'm just worried about the turn around time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
what is the case of the macbook made of
probably some cheap plastic
im scared now that mine might crack

Reaction score
kool so this should be covered under my warranty still. I was worried for a moment, now I'm just worried about the turn around time.

If you live not-too-far from the nearest apple store, go in and discuss the option of keeping your MacBook until the new case arrives.

If you can't part with your Mac as you use it daily then they may accommodate your request.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what is the case of the macbook made of
probably some cheap plastic
im scared now that mine might crack

actually it's not, so this crack is really pretty surprising.

its supposed to be polycarbonate, which is actually very strong. dyson uses it for a few of it's products and i've got one of them (a dc07 - the yellow vaccuum), and i can tell you, it's is really tough. as i understand it, it's used for riot shields as well. though there are probably different grades or strengths.

OP
V
Reaction score
I was suprised by the crack too, but I think this is something I should definitley take in and let my warranty sort it out. I live 15 minutes from the University Mac Store and see no reason why I should wait for it to get worse. Thoughts? do I just go up to the counter with my reciept and they will take of the rest? thanks for the help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
take it in straight away. take ur reciept or some documentation.

with my apple care they just looked it up on the computers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a defect in the case material. Being that you're within the first few weeks of ownership, I would insist upon a replacement. It should be very simple for the nearest Apple store to simply swap your hard disk into another unit. I wouldn't settle for a repair job that will likely take at least a few days to get parts in, complete disassembly and reassembly for a machine that is practically brand new.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi I just looked at my reciept turns out it has been almost 3 months. What are there criteria for direct replacement. Also I replaced my 2x512 with 2x1gb ram, if they directly replace it will I still get my ram back. I already sold my 512 sticks. Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would guess that if they have to swap the chassis, you could tell them you would like them to move your memory and hard drive.

they may be able to just swap the cover, but i'm not sure how that all fits together. just letting them know will be your best bet. that wouldn't have caused this, so it wouldn't void the basic 1yr warranty.

OP
V
Reaction score
i would guess that if they have to swap the chassis, you could tell them you would like them to move your memory and hard drive.

they may be able to just swap the cover, but i'm not sure how that all fits together. just letting them know will be your best bet. that wouldn't have caused this, so it wouldn't void the basic 1yr warranty.

kool I will talk to them about it when they reopen, I will report back thanks for all the help guys and gals

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.