• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

One for all!? or many for many?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Hiya

Im slowly going mad and was wondering how everybody else avoids it!

I currently have my g5 mac at work, and use an ibook at home, and a pc at another work for bits and bobs. Drives me mad having files and emails all over the place, im thinking of selling off everything and getting a macbook pro to do EVERYTHING and take round with me so all my files are in one nice place.

How you guys mac it? do you have one mac for everything, all your work and fun? or lots for different purposes?

Im thinking having one mac for my work (design) and my hobbies of music production/video editing/photography and it stores all my family photos and itunes, everything all in a macbook pro, instead of all over the place!

JUst a ramble wondering how you guys did it!

:)
RIverCOttage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've consolidated my personal computing life on my MacBook.

While at the office, where Windows is a necessary evil, I keep everything work-related on my office server. When I need to access my personal email (which is under gmail and yahoo) I access it via their web interface.

When I get home, my MacBook POPs all the mail down to itself.

All my personal files live on my MacBook, and every week or so I copy certain files (mostly my podcast/Adobe Audition files created under Parallels) to my home directory on my home Windows machine (another necessary evil).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have a PowerBook G4 as my main machine for net/office/photos etc.

I use my G4 Cube for music, syncing with my iPod, photo storage, adium and storing files I don't need on my PB so I can wirelessly access them.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my wife has an HP laptop.

i have a macbook.

that's it.

(other than the decrepit compaq ipaq i haven't figured out what i want to do with yet and the dead 17" HP pavillion notebook my macbook replaced, oh, and a PS2 and nintendo DS for gaming).

M

MacHeadCase

This household has three Macs.

My partner has an iBook (G4 1GHz), I have my old iMac G4 800MHz (kept it because it was one of the last models to be able to boot into Ma OS 9 - I have sooooooo many point-and-click adventure games that only run on OS 9...) and my latest is the iMac G5 2.1GHz (3G).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have a macbook pro for all of my personal stuff (yet some times I throw a project on here so i can edit on the couch) then I have a powermac quad that is for work (editing)... I also keep all my music on it and access the music wirelessly from my macbook pro (simply won't fit on it). Then I sync both computers with .mac so that I will always have all my information (contacts, appointments, etc) on both computers.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Thanks for the replies guys :) i think i'd be able to cope with having bits all over the place if my macs where not phyisicaly all over the place, at the moment all my photos/music etc lives on my g5 in my office...and not in my home, and sometimes i need files that are in the office...i think im gonna have to consilidate everything down into a macbook pro....

..although may wait a few weeks on the off chance than jan brings anything new!

;-)
RIver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i run os x at home now on an iMac and an ibook but at school obviously they use xp (shivers) so, i get around this by using ms office on the mac and at school and use a memory key to transport my docs. most things just work. But i havnt tried it with photoshop etc.. only ms office.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook for college and clients (I do some event organizing) and an iMac G5 at home for my digital life.

I use iDisk or the school server to sync seminar files I'll need at home, or I'll mail them to myself. But I usually keep one directory that I keep in sync. My mail and the rest is synced with .mac .

You should consider it, too, in your case, it's worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.