• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD input on Macbook pro 17"

T

Twiggz73

Long story short I have a really nice big screen and I want to hook my xbox 360 up to it and use it as an HD screen. Any ideas, the input has to be of the HD kind (DVI, VGA). Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bad news first - not gonna happen, sorry.

Short on time right now - will post back after awhile with what is possible.
Have been using my PC as a DVR for several years now and pretty familiar with getting TV, satellite, etc. signals into a PC.

Am new to Mac and will be setting up HDtv access tomorrow on my MacBook Pro. But, let me do a little checking just to verify the technology is at the same place for the Mac based on what you would like to do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, tech is the same for Mac as the PC. The only way to get any HD signal to display in HD on your computer is to install an HD tuner that will pick up your local over the air TV stations that are broadcasting in ATSC format. You can get other devices (Ex. I have my HD satellite receiver connected to my PC) to connect, but it will require additional hardware. Typically this will be either a video card for a desktop or a TV tuner for either desktop or notebook.
This is where the fix is in, no manufacturer builds any way to connect a HD source to either of these two pieces of hardware. I have not found any third party manufacturer either. The best you have is to connect via coaxial, composite or S video.
I can tell you I have my HD satellite connected to the TV tuner on my PC via an S video connection. No it's not HD, the signal is reduced to probably 480 (i probably, don't remember). It does maintain it's widscreen aspect and there is a difference in the picture between this connection and the component connection that goes straight to the screen. However, it's as good as any other non HD signal.

This would probably be your best bet to get your xbox 360 to display on you laptop screen. I know the 360 has composite connections which will not be as good as s video (at least don't think it has s video, didn't go look at mine).
From what research I've done in last couple of weeks, looks to me like elgato.com is making the best hardware for the Mac at this time. You would just need to check out which of their tuners (did see one) would provide you the capability of this type connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.