• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

kinda want a nano

T

todd51

Ok, I got an iPod for christmas a couple years ago. It was a 3rd or 4th generation (can't remember) 20 gig white one. Now it barely holds a charge I think mainly due to the fact that back then they didn't hold charges for very long amounts of time and I would always charge it after listening to music. It also would freeze up quite a bit after about a year of use, and now I barely use it.

My aunt came home for christmas this year and she got a new red iPod nano. I was amazed when she showed it to me because of the small size, remembering walking to class with my old one I always felt comfortable to put it in the back pocket instead of the front since of the size. Also she said she hardly ever has to charge it since the long battery life. The color display really attracts me to it, and the ability to view pictures.

I have also recently went through my iTunes library and reduced it to 4.8 gig. I went through a drastic change in music tastes. I used to listen to a bunch of rap and punk (two totally opposites I know) and now I mainly just listen to rock. So I know that the 8Gb nano would suit me well and give me room for my library to grow. I am also wondering if my university would have a student discount on it. They sell Apple products in the University Bookstore.

Hmm..decisions, decisions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
nanos are nice i would say go for it

OP
T

todd51

Yea, I just have to decide what I want to spend money on. I need to put a scope on my new .22 rifle. I also could use just general spendin money for gas, food, beer, etc. I dont' know if I'll have enough for both the Nano and scope. Maybe I'll get one for the birthday in March.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
The 8GB Nano is a great size, but the price doesn't fit. At $249 you could get a 30GB iPod that does Video as well. I now you might not need 30GB or video capabilities, but it just seems silly to spend that much money for 8GB when 30GB is the same price.

OP
T

todd51

I see what your saying there, but the thing is that yea I will just NEVER use 30 gigs of music. I know some people have tons of it and can't even fit that much on a 30 gig, but I'd rather pay that much less money and have a smaller iPod also.

Thanks for pointing that out though, never thought about it.

OP
T

todd51

Oh, crap, I didn't realize that they were the SAME price, I just thought the 8Gb was a bit cheaper than the 30, that is really weird. I really want the Nano since it's smaller and thinner. I would also never do video really either.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just got my wife a sandisk sansa e250.
same size, 2Gb, built in fm player and voice recorder. typically they cost a few bucks less too, and they're pretty.

OP
T

todd51

I just really don't think I can spend the money on this Nano right now, I think I'll have to wait till March for my birthday present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what your saying there, but the thing is that yea I will just NEVER use 30 gigs of music. I know some people have tons of it and can't even fit that much on a 30 gig, but I'd rather pay that much less money and have a smaller iPod also.

Thanks for pointing that out though, never thought about it.

I see what you're saying there, and I partially agree. I have a 30GB that I bought last February and thought I'd never use it, but I was wrong. Throw a few videos on there at ~500MB each, and your size requirements go up quite a bit. While I was on deployment this year I wound up using my iPod more than my laptop to watch movies, mainly because my iPod is much smaller and got better battery life. If you ever travel or have to endure trips to visit some not-so-entertaining family, it might be something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just got my wife a sandisk sansa e250.
same size, 2Gb, built in fm player and voice recorder. typically they cost a few bucks less too, and they're pretty.

Yeah, I picked up a local special generic MP3 player when I was in Thailand for ~$10, 512MB USB, similar to a Shuffle in the sense of it not having a display or anything, just a very basic control set and slider volume, I use it when I go work out, and sometimes when I'm cycling... if I wipeout or drop it, I'd rather have $10 down the drain (I have 2 backups) than $300+.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.