Aperture vs iPhoto opinions

Reaction score
Relatively new switcher here, new to the forum as well. Just wondering what people's opinions are when it comes to choosing between Aperture and iPhoto. One comes free with OSX, and I like it, but I'm a photography hobbyist. Tried out the Aperture free demo, it seems as if iPhoto is more intuitive?

Some words of advice from someone who has used one or the other for at least a year would be great! Just to see how the apps stand long term use, and how practical they are.

Much Appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i havnt been useing either for year, but isn't Aperture more of a comparison to Photoshop?

i thought aperture is a photo editing program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Nope, both Aperture and iPhoto are in the same space - post work flow image organization, cataloging, etc. Both include rudimentary image editing tools but this is not their key focus. Photoshop on the other hand is ALL about image editing, with Adobe Bridge being their organizing, cataloging add on. They also offer Lightroom in this space, as a direct competitor to Aperture.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i prefer adobe bridge (bundled with ps elements - or ps).

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't compare Aperture with Photoshop, they are 2 different programs which do different things. Photoshop is for editing pictures and Aperture is for more retouching and changing brightness and etc., like mac57 said.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thats why I'm having a hard time deciding, both are great programs, but it seems a bit unnecessary to be using both in tandem. I'm looking more for opinions on which is better for some quick touch up work after shooting, and of course for organizing libraries/albums/etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
If Aperture and iPhoto are so similar, then what is the incentive to spend the extra money?

Reaction score
Similar kinds of programs but Aperture is much more powerful and gives you extra features.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have iPhoto, Apperture and Photoshop and to be honest any time i need to do anything with photos, Photoshop is the app of choice for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i only use iPhoto as i cant afford aperture but i think aperture is better for semi pro's going pro or pro's and iphoto is good for photos by others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I have both and aperture does not seem like a pro app.

Iphoto seems like the basic tool that people use to ajust britness, contrast and other simple effects. Its a Home user app.

Aperture is iphoto with more tools. Its for the type of person who enjoys photography as a hobby.

If your the type of person who carries your SLR camara and enjoys taking photos aperture is for you.

If you just bring your camera to take photos of the family at the beach and is not interesting in spending a longer period of time editing the photos just use Iphoto

I cant say anything about photoshop because I'm not buying it until its UB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Im soon to be getting my Mac Pro - does iphoto let you browse through RAW images without having to load each individual image up?

I do all my photo editing in photoshop but want a program to organise and browse through my RAW images quick and easy... iphoto or aperture?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im soon to be getting my Mac Pro - does iphoto let you browse through RAW images without having to load each individual image up?

I do all my photo editing in photoshop but want a program to organise and browse through my RAW images quick and easy... iphoto or aperture?

thanks

I haven't tried yet. my current SLR camera uses film.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
I have both aswell and i have to say i like Aperture better, even though they are similar it has more extensive editing and better features. I also have ps, but its much easier to do photo touch ups in aperture cuase most the things you edit mainly are built in features and makes it very easy. Also i am pretty sure that in Aperture you can browse images in RAW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm positive you can do raw, it says so on apples site. idk if iphoto can though.

I like film, it seems to give a better picture than most digitals. only problem is that if you cahnge the aperture or any other ajustment you can see how it looks till you get you pics devloped.

Reaction score
True but depth of field preview helps a little. I suppose this is where metering skills come into it. My problem with digital is that it looks too clinical. Pixel perfect but somehow not picture perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok thanks for clearing that up. fingers crossed my mac comes today at last, im going to see if iphoto can browse and organise my RAW files... if not ill go out and get aperture.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.