• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DVD to iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 & 30GB iPod Video
I am using Mac the Ripper to backup my DVDs to my external HD and iPod and am wondering what the next step in the process is after using the program. I now have a folder containing other folders including Audio_TS and Video_TS. The Video_TS folder contains various IFO, VOB, and BUP files. How do I create one "movie" file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I'd imagine you use the program to deal with that. Not the files it created. I don't use that, I use Handbreak

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried Handbrake last night but the file went to completion (100%) but I never recieved any notification or anything saying so, and I was still offered to pause and cancel the process. I think I will just try to use handbrake again and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
which one are you using? Instant Handbrake, or Handbreak?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Handbrake. Should I be using instant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's up to you, instant puts it strait to iPod format. Not as customizable. I have both. But i mostly use plain Handbreak, because I do more than just iPod format stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
somebody actually gave me negative feedback merely for my effort to help.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am grateful for any help I get. Does Handbrake notify you when it is done? My bar is full and it says 100% but the screen is still grey at in the rest of the window. Also when I attempt to quit handbrake it doesn't respond and I have to force-quit. When I then try to open the file in quicktime it displays that the file could not be opened. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That is a known issue with Handbrake, and there are not really any answers for it. It only seems to impact the G4 Macs and some Intels. I had it happen several times on my old PowerMac G4, but it's never happened on the G5.

You can check the Handbrake forums and see if there is anything else about it. I'm pretty active there too.

You can also check out This Tutorial about ripping a movie with HB.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anything I can try to avoid this? Re-install? Or try another DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try another DVD, but it seems to be a common issue with no real rhyme or reason that I can see. Some folks have reported leaving their machines sit like that for 6, 8 or even 10 hours and when they come back it is done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
friends :yinyang:

I was thinking about Handbreak, and considered that it could, maybe be trying to negotiate some typed of copy protection. But I don't know, it was just a thought. I have an anime movie, about a moving castle, can't remember his name though. Anyway, never could get it to code, it would just freeze

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most protected DVDs either won't even start to rip in HB, or will run for about 2 min and then say they are done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've only had to do this with a few DVD and mostly because I was using the newer Beta version of HB that does 640x480. It has some issues of it's own that the official release of HB doesn't. The official release (0.7.1) has been working fine for me for some time.

Glad you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.