• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

quicktime pro

Reaction score
i just got me new mackbook c2d 1.8 , and i was wiondering if it was worth the upgrade to pro , (quicktime) i dont want to use third party media players , thats why i got rid of windows , i paly dvds through my tv and import video from a dv camcorder would i benefit

cheers :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
get Flip4Mac

And if you want QT pro, get it. I have it and I never stop using it.

Reaction score
QT pro is totally worth it. If you dont edit video the price tag may seem a little steep for what you will use it for, but the integration and ease of use make it well worth the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
And you can save whatever you view with it, that can be a bit harder without pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are benefits to getting pro (like full screen viewing) but for editing DV camcorder footing use iMovie. For watching DVDs you use DVD Player.

Flip4Mac has codecs to allow you to watch non-protected (DRM) Microsoft codecs via the QuickTime player. There are other codecs available too.

I set most of my video media to open in QuickTime, and for those it has trouble with, I set the media to open in an alternative player. Most things I do work great in QuickTime because they are QT movies.

With a little search you can find other players that will do full screen viewing, such as VLC. That will save you $29 and give you further ability to play somethings QT can't play. I don't think QT can play raw mpeg2 files without another add-on from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.